Gibson Brands Forums

Al Axcess Problem

torqvaw

I'm thinking my problem I am having is related to other problems I have read about but I would like some feedback if possible.

My problem seems to center around the piezo pot. I will occessionaly get a very bad hum that sounds like some type of grounding issue. If I "wiggle" the pot back and forth the hum will go away. My Al is #124 and does have piezo mod from Gibson.

Does this sound like the issues that have been reported. I have had this issue for about a year and am past my warranty. Does this sound like the grounding issue, and has anything been done done by Gibson to correct it?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of my Al. I didn't actully take it though. It came from the resellers site beofre I bought it.

post-34153-045280700 1352254155_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice AL! Yes, your problem sounds similar to problems experiened by others writing on these forums. Others including me have had similar issues where a hum exists until the trem bar is touched, the piezo pot is wiggled, etc. The grounding solutions used by Gibson were fairly weak on this guitar (thin grounding tape), and I am not aware of Gibson offering to do anything about that. By Piezo mod, I'm assuming you mean the "Piezo bleed fix." To reduce the noise on this guitar, in addition to shoring up the grounding, you can do the "McDLT Mod" discussed elsewhere on these boards, if you can live without the blending of Piezo and mags. Those who have done it generally report the guitar is much quieter afterward, and I have experienced that first-hand. Other benefits of doing that mod are also discussed on this board, so look around and read up on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking that the issue is related to the lack of shielding used in the hardware voids. Mine has absolutely nothing and you can hear static when running your hand over the back access plate where the ghost board is. My guitar tech indicated that he is shocked that Gibson didn't use any shielding material in those cavities, especially in light of the price point of the guitar.

I am having my tech install copper shielding on the plates and will report back.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys!

I ended up fixing the issue! The problem did turn out to be partially related to the grounding tape. Turns out the Piezo pot assembly was just loose enough in the cavity to keep it from making good contact with the tape. About an 1/4 turn on nut did the trick. Nice and quiet now!!!

Archived