Gibson Brands Forums

PR-5E or AJ-200SCE

chris_c01

I am a new learner looking for an acoustic electric guitar and have narrowed it down to either a PR-5E or AJ220SCE.

Anybody have any suggestions? I guess 90% of the time would be playing unplugged.

Which one sounds better and also in term of price and values, I see the electronic parts are different, the PR-5E come with eSonic preamp and NanoFlex pickup system and the AJ-200SCE comes with Shadow's new Performer Tuner, what are the difference? Which guitar would have better long term value?

Thanks

Welcome Chris,

I own both guitars and to me the AJ200SCE does sound better unplugged than the PR5-E; of course that is in part due to the solid top. Also the shape and depth of the body plays a part in it. Otherwise the necks and fretboards are pretty much the same. Plugged in there is not much difference; at least to my ears. Which ever one you go for be sure to get a case to store in when not playing.

Welcome Chris,

I own both guitars and to me the AJ200SCE does sound better unplugged than the PR5-E; of course that is in part due to the solid top. Also the shape and depth of the body plays a part in it. Otherwise the necks and fretboards are pretty much the same. Plugged in there is not much difference; at least to my ears. Which ever one you go for be sure to get a case to store in when not playing.

Hi Rix,

Thanks for the reply, may I ask is any particular reason for getting the case? Is it because of the humidity or simply for protection?

I am a bit confuse coz some people tell me that I should put it on the stand to let it age while i am not playing?

Thanks! :-)

Hi Rix,

Thanks for the reply, may I ask is any particular reason for getting the case? Is it because of the humidity or simply for protection?

I am a bit confuse coz some people tell me that I should put it on the stand to let it age while i am not playing?

Thanks! :-)

That is it exactly, because of the humidity and simply for protection. As far as aging by setting it out; in the past there was some theories and even some devices made to help that process; the thought was that the vibrations from sound would help season the guitar. Some people would even set their guitars in front of a speaker to speed up the aging process.

IMHO, I don't think you really need to this if your playing the guitar often. And unless you are diligent about monitoring and controlling the humidity your best off keeping the guitar in a case.

Anyway hope that helps.

I've got the PR5e and the AJ220SCE.

I've played the 220 - roughly the same as your 200... maybe six or eight hours in the past six or eight months since I got it. I've played the PR5e hundreds of hours in the same time period.

It's a "pays your money and takes your choice."

I fingerpick mostly. The PR5e is about the perfect size for it. I think the shape makes most of the difference on the sound unplugged, but plugged it's about as good a sound as you're going to get on a small acoustic, at least IMHO.

Now... a case? Problem with cases is that folks figure since they cost as much as a low-end Epi, they're a waste. Maybe with a $100 guitar they are, except... imagine taking a guitar even to a neighborhood party and having somebody knock it down and step on it. Not me. There's a hard case for all of my "hollow" guitars.

Oh, another point on the 200/220 and Masterbilt AJ500 that supposedly are about the same instrument designs. The Masterbilt is four times or more the guitar for twice the price, at least IMHO.

Still <grin> I've got one of those too and ... guess which of the three gets played most? The PR5e. Then again, it's about the same size as the 175... 9-42 strings for fingerpickin' ... and when played "out," it's always plugged in.

m

Archived