Gibson Brands Forums

Reverse V's

Bluesburst

Hello All,

Forwhat it's worth, I LOVE my Reverse V and for all the whinging and *****ing going on around the net about the new release, I hope they decrease in value for a while so I can pick another up.

A few observations about the guitar:

1 - It's got a great tone, I bought it as a rock machine but find I like it's as a blues guitar in a clean Fender or slightly overdriven Marshall Vintage Modern amp that it shines.

2 - It's wonderfully light

3 - It's my favourite guitar to sit down with as the flat edge on your knee lifts the neck to a near perfact angle.

My only real issue is the placement of the pin strap on the upper horn. This is horrible and throws the balance off, straightening the neck unless you have it up high on your chest. Why Gibson didn't put the pin on the heel of the neck I don't know. It's teh perfect spot for it.

So, with a bit of luck, 2008 will see another Reverse V come my way and I'll put an extra strap pin on it. I'm hesitant to add one on my GOTW version. While it's a player, I don't want to screw with it just in case...

I hope Gibson do periodic new releases, I would love one with P-90's, now that would be one to play and hear!!!

My only ***** with the new version is that Gibson have gotten greedy on the pricing, there's not actually a lot to them. To more than double the street price is a bit rich.

What do others think?

All the best

Martin

Howdy, I was one of the individuals who bit into the dream of only 400 reverse V's being produced... EVER !! Wow, imagine, being lied to from a big corporation who found they could sell more of them for an inflated price.:) I really had hoped that there was still a little integrity amongst the music community :) I definitely will think twice before purchasing another Gibson.

Hey XXX,

I'm no apologist for Gibson, but I don't recall Gibson ever claiming absolute limitations on on-going runs of any of the GOTW's.

I'm actually surprised they didn't try out a few more bizarre experiments. Bottom line is that it's a business and they're there to make money.

For the lucky 400 who own one of the originals I think we're on a good thing as both a great guitar and an investment. Like any investment, while there's always the freak ones at both the upper and lower end, most good investments mature over time.

Asides from the issues with limited numbers, what do you actually think of the guitar?

I've had a friend play it who hates the look but loves the sound and feel. He was really surprised and didn't expect such great tone and feel from such a bizarre looking piece of wood.

I'm sure most of the knockers out there haven't actually played one.

As I said before my only real issue is the placement of the upper strap pin, it should be in the heel. And, Gibson have got way too greedy on the price of the re-issue.

PS, I think it should be called The Arrow, not a Reverse V. I have a 67 V in Natural and the body dimension is smaller, IT'S NOT actually a reversed V in the strictest sense :)

Howdy' date=' I was one of the individuals who bit into the dream of only 400 reverse V's being produced... EVER !! Wow, imagine, being lied to from a big corporation who found they could sell more of them for an inflated price.:) I really had hoped that there was still a little integrity amongst the music community :) I definitely will think twice before purchasing another Gibson.[/quote']

+1,000,000

I feel the same way too. Not whining just disappointed in Gibson and the greed before integrity attitude that pervades corporate America. I really expected more from people with such a long history and close ties to the arts. Enough of that, we live in a society that preaches profit as king. Might as well learn to deal with it.

It is interesting to note that no other online dealers are listing the NEW and Improved Reverse V. Seems that Sweetwater was the only company to purchase any and they haven't sold one yet... They kept my brother in limbo on his original order saying it was coming over and over again. Then they finally told him that they have the new one, not the one he ordered, for $2299. He laughed them off the line! Gibson have killed the value of the first "Limited" (sic) issue. I just saw one end on ebay which sold for $1000 so you should be able to pick another one up now Blueburst.

I like mine too but only at the original price. I'd have never bought it at the $2299 on line price. Just too many other nice guitars out there at that price point. Before Gibson removed all the older posts on the board (I think there was too much negativity towards G after the Reverse V BS) I read a post that suggested Gibson should have added binding to the neck, used split diamond inlays, used Ebony for the board and only sold them in colors. Not using the trans that looks so similar to the limited model. I agree.

If Gibson had done the new models only in black and white (500 of each so the originals were rarer than the new ones) and not released them till 2008 (so the serialization would be from a different year for the original 400) and added the differentiating appointments above I really wouldn't have had an issue with Gibson at all. They would also have given an incentive with the appointments to spend the extra $$$s. As is I feel now the Reverse Vs will be the butt of jokes as Gibson will have to reduce the price constantly to what it was previously before they sell again. That will just give the traditionalists who don't like the odd shape more ammunition to spew forth about what a half baked idea the Reverse V episode was. Gibson blew this one big time...

If I were Henry I'd fire the marketing department post haste and rethink this whole reissue deal as it just undermines customer confidence in a company that relies heavily on just that confidence.

Hi Mellow69

I agree with you, Gibson have gotten greedy on this one. Maybe I'm just optimistic but I think this release will only slow down the return on the original, not kill it.

It is a pity they didn't do a noticeably different version this time such as bound neck and/or body, different inlays, pickups (Mmmm P90's!), perhaps even a mini Vibrola...

Ultimately, lets not let the other issues spoil what is a great guitar for those that have them to play.

My RV (Arrow!) is my favourite sit-down guitar as it puts the neck in such a great position unlike any of my others (Les Paul, ES-137, 67 Flying V and a Strat).

I'm happy with mine and if nothing else, will be a great conversation piece when recalling the stink kicked up when it was released.

I've got to agree with on the sit down aspect of the RV. The position of the guitar is very close to the classical (proper) position while sitting. Just be mindful of your chin and its relation to the upper point! I nailed mine once already but I doubt I'll do it again...

I also agree on the top strap pin. It's not in the best location for balance. A wide strap helps some tho. I went to use a vintage strap I have with a thin leather end and a wider leather end with the adjustable shoulder pad and it worked OK. The RV is so light it really doesn't need the pad but it helps with the balance issue. I'm not sweating the collect-ability factor anymore. It may be a blessing in disguise. Now I just play it. It has made me rethink my purchasing future models tho. I was set to buy the new SG P90 GOTW before the reissue. Now I figure I can hold off as if they're popular Gibson will make another, maybe in white. If they're not popular I'll pick one up on ebay for a great price.

Archived