Gibson Brands Forums

Is my Dark fire a quality guitar equal to a custom or 2008 standard plus

sshep

After reading many posts I wonder if I should return my Dark Fire and get a custom or standard that will keep its value. I'm starting to think that this guitar might have problems down the line (although I really think it plays well right now). Also, do other guitarist thinks this is a gimmick more than a beautiful instrument. It doesn't even have binding on the neck like my 2006 classic although my Paul Reed Smith doesn't either. I want to make sure I have an instrument I can be proud of over the years. Can some of you comment on why fits this category. Thanks. ( I really don't want to return it. I haven't even been able to test the RIP stuff because I haven't received it. However, I find the burstbucker 3 and p90h to be really sweet. Although it is very chambered, it sounds very nice. I want to here that this guitar is a " top of the line " guitar. Is it?

sshep, we are in the same boat. However, my concern is about the Robot, not about the DarkFire.

Gibson marketing claimed that the instrument will be a collector's item...a classical piece of history...etc...even people that never played Guitar were "investing" in the GOR.

Now, a year later, Gibson has flooded the market with the enhanced GOR (upgraded Neutrik connectors, more color ranges, etc..) at 50% to 60% the price of the GOR LE, which diluted severely it's value.

I am guessing the same thing will happen to the DarkFire.

Sometime in spring next year, the market will be flooded with the non prototype DF that comes with the manual, the RIP, the fixes, the Software and will be around 50% the price of the prototype.

I frankly have a hard time to see the values of either the Robot or the DF increase (or even stay the same) like an LP Custom would.

I agree with Alouf,

For me the Dark Fire is a Tool -

If you want an investment - get something else.

Basically the Dark Fire shares the same CNC PU and Top route as a LES PAUL BFG, with chambered body( to lighten the load), machine applied worn brown paint finish with no final polishing - rather like the old Firebrand - so there would be a budget for for all the Tronical stuff, latest 2008 LP standard Neck profile ( to use the same PLEK process in production), and add all the Tronical goodies. CAN Bus Bluetooth ready Powertune II. MCK, etc.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/gary-moore-bfg/

In 10 years - I suspect, the Gary Moore BFG will be worth more.

I don't necessarily want an investment, just a quality guitar that I can be proud of showing when I play it. No one's ever made derogatory remarks when I pulled out my 2001 les paul standard , Paul Reed Smith, or American Strat and I could always count on those guitars to deliver the sound and retain their playability. If this guitar has trouble staying in tune as one post suggests then maybe . . . I want this to be a guitar that I can count on regardless of the tech stuff added. Something like why you might buy an ebony les paul custom classic with 57's (custom head stock/ standard body/ different pickups/ beautiful instrument) I already have the $900 les paul mahogany from guitar center and it is a really good guitar. I want the tech added but I want it added on a guitar with more prestige than a $900 GC gibson. Thanks again

Well - the Dark Fire shows well - Mine had a fabulous book matched maple top - (but I do wish it was sunburst not Wine Red)

The Headstock from the front looks fancy - and hey it doesn't say "Epiphone" up there - yet - but I predict next year when the Epiphone Slash Dark Fire arrives with the made in China Tronical clone tuners, and a real lacquer finish on the back, sides, and neck, and an ISO 9001 quality built MCK knob - priced at $1400, the value of our Dark Fire will plummet.

Its rather like the "OLP" line that Ernie Ball Music Man had for a few years. The OLP Petrucci models were so damn good, for one third the price - that sales of the USA Music Man version fell off dramatically - So Ernie Ball pulled the plug on the whole OLP line last spring.

Sorry for the diary of a madman but my biggest problem owning a Dark Fire is trying to describe it to someone else. Gibson is selling us a magic act worthy of James Bond 007. When i describe what all the Dark Fire does to non guitarists, their first reaction is that I must not be a very good guitarist if I need one that tunes itself - and the RIP box is totally over their head. I tell them I can connect this to a computer and I could have bass on the low strings and flutes on the high strings, and they tell me the Roland GR-09 their ex had 15 years ago could do all that too. The dumb Robot Guitar video marketing campaign last year (still viewable at www.tronical.com) reinforces this mindset too. I broke up with the woman I was dating when I showed her my Dark Fire - she thought i must be devoid of all true musical spirit, and addicted to toys. - well showing her my new Iphone, and mentioning what I paid for my Dark Fire - when I'm still driving my 10 yr old minivan that needs shocks sealed my fate with her.

So get a plain Les Paul Case, and a different Truss rod cover, and PU covers - let everyone think you have a mint 1997 Wine Red Les Paul with custom inlays and they will think more highly of you. never tell anyone that its a Dark Fire - even the name is a tough sell to your soon to be ex-wife, and then there's the $$$ this thing costs.

Next time Gibson should Market DF directly to this market sector:

www.transperformance.com

I see the Dark Fire as a poor mans version of the Transperformance system with 70% less weight and even at $3500, the Gibson DF is a lower cost than those guys.

http://transperformance.com/guitargallery/gallery_large_html/les_paul_classic_wine.html

I wonder which one of us here on the Dark Fire boards is actually Sonny Landreth using an alias?

I have another issue with the marketing name they attached to this thing - Dark Fire, its too demonic.

I bet last Spring, they were originally targeting for a Halloween entry date ?

And the RIP = Rest in Peace

I'm just praying my RIP is not DOA !

I don't necessarily want an investment' date=' just a quality guitar that I can be proud of showing when I play it.[/quote']

Then I would run away from the Dark Fire. Let me explain, regardless of all thos funcions (that don't function at all) the guitar is still a Gibson and should be as good as any other. It has great wood, craftsmanship (luthierie-wise), pickups and probably ans awesome tone.

But there are many people watching this whole Dark Fire saga from the outside and most people don't like what they see. If you get up n stage with a Les Paul Standard, a Traditional or any other Gibson, people will look and see that you own a solid axe. And you'll impose respect. But the Dark Fire is already a fiasco in some peoples mind. History has it to say what the DF will be. But as for now, it does not impose ANY respect.

If you don't care about any of that issues I just said, stick to it. Regardless of those mal-funcional-funcions, if you try and use it as a normal guitar, you should rock real hard!!!!

I just returned my "prototype" (S#'s 01-2000) Dark Fire Guitar to where it belongs.... back to a Gibson dealer... I took it out to a gig last night and was totally unimpressed with the quirk-i-ness, unreliability, sonic quality and overall playability. My original Robot, with the alnico pickups, blows it away; without comparison. The floating pig is deflating (Pink Floyd).........Good luck to you all your going to need it.=; =; :-k

I just returned my "prototype" (S#'s 01-2000) Dark Fire Guitar to where it belongs.... back to a Gibson dealer... I took it out to a gig last night and was totally unimpressed with the quirk-i-ness' date=' unreliability, sonic quality and overall playability. My original Robot, with the alnico pickups, blows it away; without comparison. The floating pig is deflating (Pink Floyd).........Good luck to you all your going to need it.=; =; :-k [/quote']

Very interested in that bit where the Gibson Original Robot outperformed the DF tone wise.

I really like the sound of my GOR, and I was under the impression that the DF sounded even better.

ppmkly, could you please elaborate a bit more on the tone of the GOR vs the DF?

Thanks.

Archived