Gibson Brands Forums

Paco De Lucia and Segovia

stardaruni

Paco De Lucia dead at 66. What a shame. He left us too early. I remember reading an interview with Keith Richards where he says that "Paco De Lucia and Segovia are real guitarists, the rest of us are just hackers". This was in response to why he has never authorized a Keith Richards signature model. Anyway, just FYI……...

A confession: I saw Segovia once, de Lucia twice, and Keef perform a number of times. Keef is my fave. For me, Keef wins on coolness.

This said, on the scales of chops and soul, few players have come close to de Lucia. I saw Paco with Di Meola and McLaughlin and once solo. In the trio setting, I thought that Paco reigned supreme. Solo, he was astonishing. OK, he was astonishing even sitting next to the others in the trio.

In the 1980s Paco appeared sort of as himself in a Flamenco version of Bizet's Carmen. Really. The film is incredible and Paco is incendiary.

A confession: I saw Segovia once, de Lucia twice, and Keef perform a number of times. Keef is my fave. For me, Keef wins on coolness.

This said, on the scales of chops and soul, few players have come close to de Lucia. I saw Paco with Di Meola and McLaughlin and once solo. In the trio setting, I thought that Paco reigned supreme. Solo, he was astonishing. OK, he was astonishing even sitting next to the others in the trio.

In the 1980s Paco appeared sort of as himself in a Flamenco version of Bizet's Carmen. Really. The film is incredible and Paco is incendiary.

Thanks for the reply and the info. Keef is my favourite too. Just for his all around contribution to music, plus being the coolest! The whole reason I started playing the guitar is I had a poster of the Stones in 72', Keith was on stage playing his blonde Tele. Just struck a nerve in me………

Cheers

Archived