Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage McCarty P/U vs DeArmond - Value ?

Good question. I don't have a definitive answer, but I have a pretty strong sense (developed over many years) that the McCarty's are not nearly as much in demand or as celebrated by players as the DeArmonds. I think the McCarty's are more scarce, and yet that doesn't seem to make them more sought after. You don't see too many players using them, particularly on guitars where they're not stock.

DeArmonds can vary quite a bit in price. It's been quite a few years since I was in the market for one, but it shouldn't be that hard to get a handle on what's going on by looking on ebay or going to vintage dealer sites. They're not cheap, especially the top of the line 1100 model (gold plated, adjustable pole pieces). I've seen them advertised at anywhere from $500 to $1,000 in years past. The model 1000 (Rhythm Chief) is generally a bit more affordable, and the FHC ("Guitar Mike") even more so (and they're great pickups).

I owned one guitar (a 1961 Super 400CN) with a McCarty, and was not impressed. I had a DeArmond 1100 a few years later, and it was easy to see why they are so much in demand.

Just remembered something else. Obviously, adding a McCarty to a guitar would generally tend to be more intrusive in terms of having to drill holes. Not that some DeArmond mounts (neck rod) wouldn't require that, but at least you have the option of using the type that attaches below the bridge.

Archived