Gibson Brands Forums

What year is it?

RustyBones

From what I recall I bought this sometime around 1976-77. I know that it has a Dimarzio Dual sound in the neck position, I have no idea what's in the bridge, perhaps a stocker with the cover removed (which was pretty much what everyone did in my area to get more bite back then) it has a 4 layer pick guard. It was painted white and had the decal applied when I purchased it and It's in the original Gibson hard case. The guitar has normal wear and tear for a player, it's also got (quite beautiful) checking in the paint on the back. It's got the ultra slim neck to body, not the joint with the big heel.

The paint job has all but obscured the serial number but you can still make out the Made in USA stamp. I replaced the bridge and tailpiece when I was actively playing it (with Gibson parts) because of wear and corrosion, and as far as I know (other than pickups and paint) they are the only items that were not on it as built.

This was my first real guitar after starting on a (really crappy) Harmony hollow body single cutaway. I have had a few Gibsons and Fenders over the years but this always seemed to be the one with the real magic.

As things turned out I quit playing when I started engineering for the band I was playing with and seemed to be better at that than playing guitar :-) I just re-discovered this a few months ago, I know its been in the case (in a controlled climate) for the last 20 or so years.

Any help identifying it would be great, as near as I can tell it's a 74 or 75 standard based on the bridge and knobs, but I've been told it may be a 60's, I know it still plays really well and has crazy tone, albeit a little scratchiness in the pots. I can send anyone more photos if that would help.

I'm also interested in getting a rough estimate of value, back in the day I actually turned down a $3000 offer for it (the price of a nice used Vette!) that's how much people loved this SG!

This a players guitar, everyone who played it LOVED it, it's one of those pieces of wood that really has mojo.

post-70150-021243000 1422139580_thumb.jpg

post-70150-027063600 1422139630_thumb.jpg

post-70150-015426100 1422139662_thumb.jpg

post-70150-093234300 1422139676_thumb.jpg

"Made In USA" stamp and headstock "volute": '70+

6-digit impressed serial number (with above features): '70-75

Model: SG Standard, original style re-introduced around 1973, so '73+.

So the least common denominator from the math above = '73-75 SG Standard.

The potentiometer codes can most likely narrow this down to a specific year. Open up the control cavity and look for a 7-digit number on the back of the pots. The number you're looking for will probably start with "137". The last four digits are what is important, as they are a date code for the month and year of manufacture.

"Made In USA" stamp and headstock "volute": '70+

6-digit impressed serial number (with above features): '70-75

Model: SG Standard, original style re-introduced around 1973, so '73+.

So the least common denominator from the math above = '73-75 SG Standard.

The potentiometer codes can most likely narrow this down to a specific year. Open up the control cavity and look for a 7-digit number on the back of the pots. The number you're looking for will probably start with "137". The last four digits are what is important, as they are a date code for the month and year of manufacture.

Thanks for the information! I'll "pop the hood" and look for the date codes on the pots. I know that not being stock decreases the value any thoughts on what it's worth?

RB

I just opened it up and the pots are 1377230, so that makes it a '72?

Thanks for the help!

RB

Two reference books I have note the re-introduction of this style SG Standard as being slightly different. One states "1973", the other states "late '72". In either (and both) cases, it would not have appeared on the Gibson dealer price list until 1973, which "officially" dates the "model".

1972 pots from the 30th week are pretty borderline on GUESSING if these pots were used up before, or after, the end of 1972. It's safe to say it's a 1973 model. It's arguable to say it was built in late 1972.

Avoid the argument and call it a '73.

But.... Checking serial number listings, in this case (72 or 73), the serial number MAY make a difference. Try to do a "rubbing" or a flashlight shadow test to see if you can positively determine the first digit of the 6-digit serial number. From the photo, I think I'm seeing an 8 or 9 (I'm thinking "9"). This may give you additional ammunition in the "late '72" argument.

Archived