Gibson Brands Forums

Recording with Analog 4 track

Washingtons

Just got myself a 4 track analog recorded and I'm excited to record for the 1st time. I don't have microphones yet, suggestions on brands?

I want to record having that vintage sound. I don't want my recording to sound "too good" I want my sound to have that 60's 70's sound.

By the way, what makes your voice distort a bit when singing?

Just got myself a 4 track analog recorded and I'm excited to record for the 1st time. I don't have microphones yet, suggestions on brands?

I want to record having that vintage sound. I don't want my recording to sound "too good" I want my sound to have that 60's 70's sound.

By the way, what makes your voice distort a bit when singing?

cant go wrong with a Shure 57 or 58. the thing about a lot of the 60's and 70's recordings is that they went through tube mics and tube preamps which can get costly but there are some brands out there that make reasonably priced gear for these situations. I recommend checking out a website called gearslutz.com. you'll get more help there than here. best of luck!

• 7 months later...

cant go wrong with a Shure 57 or 58. the thing about a lot of the 60's and 70's recordings is that they went through tube mics and tube preamps which can get costly but there are some brands out there that make reasonably priced gear for these situations. I recommend checking out a website called gearslutz.com. you'll get more help there than here. best of luck!

I'd agree that a Sure57 or 58 would be good in this scenario. If you're recording using a 4-track I wouldn't worry too much about picking up expensive pre-amps though. These days a lot of these sorts of effects can be modelled quite effectively using DAW software. Having said that, you'll definitely get a vintage sound with a 4-track, but will also most likely get a lot of noise.

With regards to 'your voice distort' do you mean a distortion effect applied to a vocal, or distortion while singing with no effects?

Archived