Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Plus

Hello,

i would like to know what year my Les Paul is made.

I'm what confused because this is the model with the "Les Paul MODEL" on the headstock and the small binding in the cutaway, but has the Nashville bridge on it instead of the ABR bridge.

The serial number is 9 0628, so it would appear this guitar is from 1999?

I presumed the Classics with the description "MODEL" on the headstock discontinued in 1993

Can anybody please tell me the date of my guitar ?

Thank you

Serge

Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

Nashville tune-o-matic bridge

not original tuners

not orginal pickups

60's taper neck

Les Paul MODEL on head stock

small binding in cutaway

AMBER colour

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Most likely it's a 1999 Les Paul Classic Plus, since it wasn't made in 2009. Not until 2011, when it came with baked maple fingerboard.

I am surprised to see the Nashville unit as well. Is it put on top of ABR-1 screws and thumbwheels? Check whether the post screws go straight into the wood. I suspect someone replaced the bridge because of intonation issues. Nashville units provide more room for adjustments. Even this unit's saddles are at dead-ends and the bridge itself is turned around.

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence

Thanks for replying,

I think the T.OM. bridge is original, it's not put on a ABR screw. (see pic)

Strange, but i think maybe this was a special run ... ?

Somebody told me this was a 1989, but it couldn't be because of the 5 digit serial number.

There is a date stamp in the pickup cavity, but not readable

Bye

Serge

post-71409-094916700 1427834979_thumb.jpg

Hello Serge!

Yes, right, that's a properly installed Nashville unit. (However, in factory stock condition the saddle screws should face the tailpiece).

To be honest, I ran out of thoughts at this point. You might want to contact the Customer Service for further information.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Support.aspx

It's a very nice guitar! Enjoy it with good health!

Best wishes... Bence

Somebody told me this was a 1989, but it couldn't be because of the 5 digit serial number.

"Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000."

Cheers... Bence

Archived