Gibson Brands Forums

1960's Gibson ES? Help I.D. Please!!

Hello my name is Chance I am new to the forum. I live in California and recently started in my collectable guitar journey. So I thought I better get an account here.

I recently acquired this 1961 Gibson (According to Guitar Date Project). I had some issues trying to ID it. I believe it is an ES series but I have done quite a bit of research and have not been able to pinpoint exactly what it is. It looks most similar to the Gibson ES 175, but there are some inconsistencies.

Any help is much appreciated. I will post photos.

bigsby%20001_zpssuir0qxs.jpg

bigsby%20004_zps2kf9w1ve.jpg

bigsby%20005_zpsn5otjyfc.jpg

bigsby%20006_zpsmcufdcon.jpg

bigsby%20007_zpse5tb5zxn.jpg

It's an ES-125TC that has had a second pickup added. Not to be confused with the 'factory' version, which would be an ES-125TCD. This one's second set of knobs and placement of the switch is all wrong.

You should see the model number rubber stamped inside.

It's an ES-125TC that has had a second pickup added. Not to be confused with the 'factory' version, which would be an ES-125TCD. This one's second set of knobs and placement of the switch is all wrong.

You should see the model number rubber stamped inside.

Thank you very much ksdaddy for the information. I did look inside thoroughly and did not see a model #. So this would be an ES-125TC with added pickup and added Bigsby correct? Do you think the configuration will effect the overall value of the guitar. I payed $650 tell me I did alright at least. Haha Do you agree this is a 1961 model.

Thanks again for your help.

$650 is fine. A clean unmolested 125TC will typically bring a grand or more and if it were a 'real' 125TCD it would likely hit 1500.

$650 for a good player is money well spent I say.

It could easily be a '61. If it were presented to me as a '61 I certainly wouldn't question it.

$650 is fine. A clean unmolested 125TC will typically bring a grand or more and if it were a 'real' 125TCD it would likely hit 1500.

$650 for a good player is money well spent I say.

It could easily be a '61. If it were presented to me as a '61 I certainly wouldn't question it.

Thank you very much you have been very helpful.

Archived