Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Jackson, Jr. Artist Model

Mike Phillips

Please help me resolve some confusion. Is the Paul Jackson Jr. Artist Model an ES-346, an ES-347, or neither? For a long time, I thought it was an ES-347. However, I cannot find any information on Gibson's site about the instrument, so I don't know how to find out. It's hard to find any information on this model. Apparently only a few were made.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure it's essentially an ES-346, but I can't remember if the 347 has more bling with the split-parallelogram fretboard inlays...

These were (more or less) precursers to the CS-336/CS-356 models with similar construction: a solid slab of mahogany is routed to create sound chambers with the sides, back and centerblock all the same integrated piece of wood. Then it's capped with bookmatched maple - a bit like an LP construction for the top but with f-holes. This model features a "straight-pull" headstock, smaller than the usual Gibson design and a little like a PRS headstock. It also has split-parallelogram inlays on the fretboard. Unlike the current CS-336 & CS-356, the body shape of the PJ Jr has a wider waist (I think) and definitely more flared horns. Proportionately the 336/356 design looks more like a 335 only smaller, whereas the PJ Jr looks like a wider shape. If I remember right, the PJ's have an access panel to get at the pots on the back (like an LP) but the CS-336/356 models don't.

Archived