Gibson Brands Forums

Reposition your forward strap button

Schubie

I own an Epiphone Riviera. Like most double-cutaway guitars, the forward strap button is located on the back, where the neck joins the body. Every time I'd do something requiring two hands, like adjusting a mic or turning a page, the guitar would tend to fall forward. Another maker, who's name also begins with a "G", positions the forward strap button on the upper 'wing'. Positioned there, the player can take both arms off the guitar and the instrument 'stays put'. There is really not enough wood in the body of my guitar at that location to adequately support a strap button but I, with a suggestion from another player, solved that problem.

Determine the approx. interior dimension where you intend to re-locate the strap button. Fashion a 'plug' to act as a 'backup' which will fit thru the "F" hole. I used a piece of a discarded pallet (they are seldom constructed of pine, which you should avoid). It doesn't have to be 'pretty' because only you will know it's there. Drill a hole thru the plug and, using it as a guide, drill a matching hole in the upper wing as shown in the photograph.

Strap1.jpg

Thread a stout string (I used an "E") thru the hole, up thru the "F" hole and then thru the 'plug'. Tie a knot in the string, leaving you enough to extract the string thru the "F" hole and drop it into the guitar. Coat the mating surface of the 'plug' with a good wood glue, such as Elmer's Carpenter's Glue (use a Q-Tip), and pull the plug thru the body into place nice and tight. Secure it and let sit overnight. You can then clip the string and extract it thru the "F" hole. Drill the proper sized hole for the mounting screw and you're all set. This should work fine for any of the Gibson/Epiphone Semi-hollow body guitars.

Strap2.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

Very cool. I had a "'nother guitar manufacturer starting with the letter 'G'" Chet Atkins Country Gent (that would be a Brooklyn-made '63, not Japanese) and I loved the upper-bout strap button and the Bigsby. Alas, the rest of it was not up to my 335. By the time (almost 30 years later) I got the Gibson, my chassis had evolved to the point that I sit down when I play -- otherwise I would emulate your clever mod.

Pictures are called for:

(Chester)

GretschChetAtkinsCountryGentleman.jpg

(Larry)

GibsonES-335-1.jpg

"Larry?" Where did THAT come from?

Yep, the other maker is, in fact, Gretsch and the specific model is G5122. It's good that Gretsch already put the strap button there because the 'wings' have switches and stuff that would have made my modification much more difficult.

Years ago, I played an EB-3 bass and it kept 'falling away' also. Looking back, I may have actually been able to do a similar thing with it.

Thanks for your comment and say hello to Chester and Larry for me.

Archived