I have had this guitar since 1980.
I am not the original owner and the guitar is certainly NOT completely original.
Here is what I know about it:
- According to Gibson, it is a 1972 SG Special (SN 899300).
- Original pickups were replaced with humbuckers from a Les Paul back beofre 1980.
I replaced one of those with a Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in 1982.
- The bridge is NOT original. The original was in bad shape.
- There was no pickguard when I got it. I installed the LP style pick guard.
- The switch-plate and hardware is totally customized. I added an on/off and stereo capability.
It used to have a slider type switch.
- Action is very good. Neck is good/straight
- Intonation is good.
- Sound Quality is typical for SG - certainly not LP quality.
Here is some info that I found about the SG Special:
Additional Photos can be viewed at the following link.
I was wondering if anyone has any idea on the current value of this guitar.