Gibson Brands Forums

Michael Angelo's new instructional DVD

I had mentioned before that I was learning how to play guitar and that I had selected products from Metal Method to guide me in doing so. After a few months of using the lessons I felt like I made a lot of progress and I also happened to find out about a new DVD they were coming out with... SPEED LIVES 2!!! Well, I am not a shredder yet but decided it would be the perfect Christmas present for my boyfriend. It shipped and arrived much earlier than expected so I decided to check it out for myself; it's over my head but completely amazing. Has anyone else ordered it? I'd like to hear what someone who has a grasp on it has to say about it.

For those of you who haven't heard of it if you want your mind blown you should probably check out the song that is taught in the lesson on Youtube.

amazing right?

listen kid (correct me if i'm wrong), speed isn't everything. you wanna know how i learned to shred and sweep and double tap arpeggios and all that other crazy fast stuff? i learned the blues. it sounds crazy but if you sit and jam to some stevie ray vaughan or clapton (i'm talkin' solos and all), your technique, timing, and general understanding of the fretboard will increase dramatically. i'm not saying michael angelo ain't good, but all he has is speed, and that don't make you great, musicality is what counts.

p.s. you wanna see some real shredding, watch this

i never said speed was everything; its just that i really admire Michael Angelo for his skills and think he is amazing at what he does. Not only does he have the ability to play in a way I never thought possible but he is also able to break down his songs and make them understandable for people far from his level of skill. I admire a lot of musicians for a lot of different reasons, and he is an individual I happen to look up to.

i will eventually learn how to play like the artists you have mentioned but right now i am just working on building a foundation. i'm not ready for michael's lesson yet, i just think its great to watch and will make a great gift. soon i will learn from michael's DVDs and yes i will even learn from the styles of other players.

Archived