Then I got hold of myself and calmed down. I was wondering if by doing these things I was actually going to be harming it instead of helping it. So, I wussed out and just cleaned it up a little bit. I didn't even change out the strings - I thought maybe the more I left it alone the more favors I would be doing it. So, here's what I wound up with:
I did clean up the pickguard and got it a little bit flatter. Put some oil on the fretboard and cleaned the body up some. Plus, I realized that the problem with the electronics was the switch. I blew it out a little and got it "sort of" working.
Here you go:
Still plenty of string munge left because I left the string in place and opted not to clean the metal.
And I guess, this firebird is a true phoenix because the old girl can still sing!
I know that sucked, but those are some dead, moldy, crusty old strings. Plus, I can't play my way out of a paper bag. They were literally so gross they were grabbing my fingers and stopping me from moving up and down the fretboard!
But, I took it back to the owner and she was thrilled that it's working now, and a little bit cleaner than it was.
Also, I should point out that I couldn't find the video camera so I wound up using my iPhone. Not really top notch quality sound or video-wise.