Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess with added polarity switch

capmaster

There never has been an instrument that did hurt my owner's pride that early, that often and that terribly as my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess during the first four weeks. Playing it for the first time with my band, it was likely to kill the speakers of my acoustic amp with crackling and popping noises. The toggle switch shorted out, and the jacks went loose one after the other. It is basically a great instrument, but due to these serious troubles caused by poor craftmanship in the electromechanic assembly it was in need of service several times.

So last week I used the opportunity to have the tone control replaced by a fourth push/pull pot for polarity change of one of the humbuckers. With respect to serial and parallel operating modes, this results in four additional combinations of neck and bridge pickup. The sounds remind me of some Fender Telecasters, the Brian May Red Special and Rickenbacker guitars. Since there are less fundamentals to be heard, the instrument's great overtone sustain strongly contributes to these distinctive new colours of the tonal range.

Archived