Gibson Brands Forums

1970 les paul deluxe

relayer55

I recently got a 1970 that my best fried orderd in 1970

Its cherry sunburst has a mahogany neck abd a solid wine red back and neck it also has goof hider rings pot code 1970 serial correct I bought one a year or so later, had a 3 piece maple neck and burst back has anyone seen one and or no how many were built or was it a special order

Any help appreciated

Nice! Like so many of us say on the forum...."pictures!....or it doesn,t exist"...[smile] . We would love to see it. There were a lot of changes with Gibson in the late '60s--early '70s apparently. IE; using up leftover parts and changing designs and builds......so many things are possible.

Rod

Just signed up Rod as soon as I figure out how to post photos I will got a nice 75 wine red looks nicer than my 2001

Standard, just got done jamming on the 70 love the tone

Isms almost forgot how cool it was to be young in 1970

Just signed up Rod as soon as I figure out how to post photos I will got a nice 75 wine red looks nicer than my 2001

Standard, just got done jamming on the 70 love the tone

Isms almost forgot how cool it was to be young in 1970

post-56637-091046600 1367621462_thumb.jpg

Hey relay, nice-looking LP. I have several reference books. I just looked at a couple and both referred to the cherry sunburst being available in '71....

Maybe yours is an early build using up some mahogany necks before going to maple ply?

I would assume that yours is a pancake body?

Gibson was converting P90 covers to fit as trim rings on the mini-humbuckers at this time( as rumoured) and documented.

I notice the 3-piece maple top.

The back and sides are the same color, eh? Not sure how to tell about the production # with mahogony neck though.... [confused]

And yup....I was a mere Pup in 1970.

I would not trade back for all that I know now! ER,Well.....maybe a little bit.......

....The 'stamina' to deal with what I know now...Ha!

Thanks rod its just the darkish red color on the back

Of the guitar. The guitar has been owned by 2 guys since the late 70s all the play wear was from my late best friend

I had pay a fair price 3k and drive 3 hours to get but the memories are priceless I remember asking my buddy while comparing my 72 why the sunburst back on mine we both scratched our heads? I'm pretty sure he ordered it from gibson and had to be a sunburst and even then he paid a 100 more than my 1971 cost

Archived