Gibson Brands Forums

while we're waiting......

simont

Hi folks, seeing as our "precious" is delayed I could do with establishing a few facts in case I'm going down the wrong road.I'm an acoustic player mainly interested in the pickup and tuning options. So,those of you lucky enough,if you get a momment...

1. When using alternate tunings, what happens when you put a capo on?

2. Is there an onboard chromatic tuner ,independent of the motors, for fine tuning?

3. Can we mute the output while tuning?

4. Are there any string TYPE and GUAGE restrictions other than the quote below ?...

#QUOTE# When using extremely low tunings (such as C and #-o use heavier gauge strings (e.g., .013” to .062”). If you do change to extra-heavy gauge strings this way, do NOT use the Green and Blue Banks presets as you may risk damage to Dark Fire.#

5 .Theres a few mentions of 500 tunings being available. I can only see 18. How do we acces the 500 tunings?

6. Are the 18 onboard tunings ALL user programable?

7. QUOTE.... " And a Bi directional communication link for the cross platform Dark Fire Preset Editor to save and edit presets into onboard flash memory on the guitar." ................ Can we also save and edit tunings into the flash memory?

8. Any extra noise when charging while playing ?

9. These Chameleon presets... do they have Piezo in them or are they just a combination of the traditional pickups and tone controls?

10. Do you HAVE to use your charging adapter to split the signals or can you also use a Y splitter?

11.#QUOTE#.." The Chameleon Tone Technology consists of two four-band EQ chips within the guitar, #......

Is there on board EQ controls for the PIEZO?

12. How's the PIEZO sound and the Chameleon "acoustic" preset sound?

phew.... an even dozen =P~

A bit cheeky I know but there's so little info out there =P~ .The quotes are just cut and pastes from varoius posts , sites etc. that i've come accross. No refs ,sorry!

Any info appreciated,

Thanks guys

Simon

Hi folks' date=' seeing as our "precious" is delayed I could do with establishing a few facts in case I'm going down the wrong road.I'm an acoustic player mainly interested in the pickup and tuning options. So,those of you lucky enough,if you get a momment...

1. When using alternate tunings, what happens when you put a capo on?

2. Is there an onboard chromatic tuner ,independent of the motors, for fine tuning?

3. Can we mute the output while tuning?

4. Are there any string TYPE and GUAGE restrictions other than the quote below ?...

#QUOTE# When using extremely low tunings (such as C and B) use heavier gauge strings (e.g., .013” to .062”). If you do change to extra-heavy gauge strings this way, do NOT use the Green and Blue Banks presets as you may risk damage to Dark Fire.#

5 .Theres a few mentions of 500 tunings being available. I can only see 18. How do we acces the 500 tunings?

6. Are the 18 onboard tunings ALL user programable?

7. QUOTE.... " And a Bi directional communication link for the cross platform Dark Fire Preset Editor to save and edit presets into onboard flash memory on the guitar." ................ Can we also save and edit tunings into the flash memory?

8. Any extra noise when charging while playing ?

9. These Chameleon presets... do they have Piezo in them or are they just a combination of the traditional pickups and tone controls?

10. Do you HAVE to use your charging adapter to split the signals or can you also use a Y splitter?

11.#QUOTE#.." The Chameleon Tone Technology consists of two four-band EQ chips within the guitar, #......

Is there on board EQ controls for the PIEZO?

12. How's the PIEZO sound and the Chameleon "acoustic" preset sound?

phew.... an even dozen :)

A bit cheeky I know but there's so little info out there :) .The quotes are just cut and pastes from varoius posts , sites etc. that i've come accross. No refs ,sorry!

Any info appreciated,

Thanks guys

Simon[/quote']

Hi, Simon!

I don't have a Dark Fire, but I do have a Robot...so maybe I can answer a few of your questions. <g>

2. I don't think so.

3. Output is automatically muted during tuning.

5. The upgraded charging system is good for 500 "tunings".

Anyone else care to tackle the rest? <g>

Cat Daddy

alright i've had my dark fire since the 16th... it was at the store i bought it from (rainbow guitars) on the 15th however, they are closed on mondays lol anyways just letting some of you know that they did ship some out on the 15th. Anyways to your questions...

1. same as using an alternate tuning on any other guitar with a capo.

2. No there is not an onboard chromatic tuner... however, you can fine tune it yourself with another tuner as well as save that as a preset to get again at a later time... unlike the original robot you can just go ahead and tune it manually where as i think before you had to pull out the tuner similar to how you pull out the MCK or something like this...

3. So far i am unware of anyway to mute the output but id love to hear it if anyone has figured it out

4. The dark fire unlike the first robots dont need to be calibrated for different guage strings... they are just pointing out that those other guage strings are less likely to break when using the crazy tunings

5. The 500 tunings is refering to how many tunes you can get on one charge... their are 18 onboard presets aswell as a user preset that you can change for each color (blue, green, red) which i just figured out how to use... (im sure im missing somethings cuz there is no info on how exactly to use the MCK other then a paper copy of what is already on the dark fire website)

6. Kinda went over that on 5

7. dont have the rip yet so idk

8. I havnt noticed any extra however, if your guitar cable is unpluged and near the power cable you can hear static b.c its not grounded but its no louder then touching the unpluged cable with your hand... once its pluged into your guitar no extra noise that i can tell

9. Yes they do however you can turn the piezo on and off also using the MCK

10. not sure yet

11. not quite sure what you mean however im yet to find anyway to change the eq's other then the standard way

12. Im still havnt pluged the piezo into an acoustic amp or split the signal so im just running it into my electric amp and its hard to really say how it sounds... it sounds like an acoustic pluged into an electric amp i guess lol the acoustic preset however, sounds pretty good... im not disapointed however, i didnt really expect it to sound like my taylor just b/c u dont have acoustic strings and pretty much everything is different b/c it is an electric... i would say if i was playing a song that had an acoustic part but was mainly electric i wouldn't mind using the dark fire but if its really an acoustic song i would use my acoustic but if you were to use the dark fire it wont sound bad just different

hope this clears things up and i hope you guys get ur guitars soon i love mine and im sure you will too! im the luckiest kid alive!

Thansk guys for getting back.

so,if i'm reading things right....

no onboard tuner...we must use an external tuner to create our own altenate tunings

no mute..if we split the signal we'll need TWO external mute/tuners

. their are 18 onboard presets aswell as a user preset that you can change for each color (blue' date=' green, red) which i just figured out how to use...

[/quote']

does that give us 21 possible tunings then and have you tried the proceedure you used to create the "user preset" on one of the factory presets?

Archived