Gibson Brands Forums

Found 1930's L-4 Archtop aka 'Kalamazoo Slugger' ??

I couldn't believe it. I get wind of an one owner 1937 L-4, clean as any, Script Logo, Lucas inlays, etc etc. I raced over to the store and yes, it sounded and looked fantastic, but I couldn't get around the size and shape of the neck. Are they all going to be that big, meaning with that exaggerated v taper ? I thought I was mistaken, so I raced home and compared it to a Harmony Patrician I own( aka '1960's Sears Silvertone ') and the Gibson was even larger than that. Are all those L-4's of that era going to have that shape? I've got a 30's L-7, which is perfect.

I'd been looking for one forever, but if they're all going to be like that I guess I have to find another model.

Anyone run into this ?

Thanks.

You might get more responses posting in the acoustic subforum, but in my experience Gibson necks from the start of the '30s are a comfortable C profile, getting progressively more V shaped as the decade goes on. My 1939 L-00 has a very pronounced V, as did my old Kalamazoo archtop which was from '36 or '37. Once you get into the '40s the profile changes again. My impression is that the archtops follow the flat tops in terms of neck profile but I'm no expert in Gibson archtops.

You might get more responses posting in the acoustic subforum, but in my experience Gibson necks from the start of the '30s are a comfortable C profile, getting progressively more V shaped as the decade goes on. My 1939 L-00 has a very pronounced V, as did my old Kalamazoo archtop which was from '36 or '37. Once you get into the '40s the profile changes again. My impression is that the archtops follow the flat tops in terms of neck profile but I'm no expert in Gibson archtops.

I appreciate the response and info. I thought the neck would have been the least of my worries, because I already have the same year L-7, which is that C profile which I like and am used to. I seem to remember another model Gibson from that era that was a 12 fret to the body, and had a v-neck like that. Maybe I was hoping that as long as I found a 14 fret to the body Gibson archtop, it'd have a 'c' profile. Guess I was wrong.

I feel terrible walking away from this one, but almost feel worse 'cause now there may be even fewer vintage era models for me to try to locate.

Thx again.

Archived