Gibson Brands Forums

2001 Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition Questions

thesuperzman

Gang, long-time mid-level PRS/Fender strat player. I do own an Epi Dot already, that I love. But just jumped into the Les Paul water and very excited about playing my new guitar (when it arrives).

Originally, I was planning on buying a new wine Epi Les Paul Traditional, but I found a 2001 Epi Les Paul Limited Edition that I just loved the color (and price). Admittedly, I hope I made a good choice buying it sight unseen.

I do have a question. After doing some research (more after I bought the guitar) - I noticed the pickups do not seem to match what all the other 2001 Korean limited editions have. Mine are uncovered vs the covered on all the others (except the limited edition ebony).

Can anyone tell me if these were stock or possibly upgraded/downgraded? As well, if anyone else can tell me anything else about the 2001 Korean Les Paul Limited Edition. I haven't found another that has the coloring of this one either. Was the limited edition simply the color?

Thanks. Here is a picture to help.

post-57591-027855600 1371215417_thumb.jpg

Back then, Epi was using cheap generic PU's, like their '57 Classics, aka 'Mudbuckers.' Their limited editions are primarily different finishes, rarely PU's. Odds are yours have the basic stock PU's that either came uncovered, or someone took the covers off. I've owned dozens of Epi's over the years and never seen any with improved stock PU's on them, until recently. Their PU upgrade program started in 2010. There's also a chance someone put in aftermarket PU's and no one's checked to see what they are, which does happen sometimes when a guitar changes hands. It could already some very good American-made PU's in it. That happened to me with a used Epi '58 V; the seller forgot to mention their were a pair of Dimarzio's in it (he might have bought it used himself and not have checked).

You should always put on new strings when you buy a used guitar (along with using a fretboard conditioner, and cleaning the finished wood parts with window cleaner). Lord only knows what dirt, sweat, gunk, and bacteria is on it. When the strings are off, flip the PU's over and they'll be a sticker on the baseplate. See how it sound thru your rig. If the PU's stock Epi's, you may decide to upgrade, and I'd recommend a good set of PAF's, like Duncan Seth's, Gibson Burstbuckers, or StewMac Parsons Street. They're great in LP's, and give much more clarity, depth, and articulation to the sound.

Bluesman,

Thank you for the insight. Basically what I suspected. Honestly, I didn't even think about the pick-ups when I bought the guitar. I actually was going after the Epi Traditional because of the uncovered pickups and the ability to go single coil. But really liked this one. Hope I won't regret it.

I actually have a 1995 MiM strat that I upgraded the pick-ups in and hoping someone may have done the same with the Les Paul. As for the advice on the strings, great thought - never bought a used guitar before and replacing the strings was a priority but wasn't a 'before I start playing it' priority.

If they are the stock pick-ups, I'll probably be back looking for good recommendations (along the lines of what you already provided).

Again, thanks for all the great insight!!

Back then, Epi was using cheap generic PU's, like their '57 Classics, aka 'Mudbuckers.' Their limited editions are primarily different finishes, rarely PU's. Odds are yours have the basic stock PU's that either came uncovered, or someone took the covers off. I've owned dozens of Epi's over the years and never seen any with improved stock PU's on them, until recently. Their PU upgrade program started in 2010. There's also a chance someone put in aftermarket PU's and no one's checked to see what they are, which does happen sometimes when a guitar changes hands. It could already some very good American-made PU's in it. That happened to me with a used Epi '58 V; the seller forgot to mention their were a pair of Dimarzio's in it (he might have bought it used himself and not have checked).

You should always put on new strings when you buy a used guitar (along with using a fretboard conditioner, and cleaning the finished wood parts with window cleaner). Lord only knows what dirt, sweat, gunk, and bacteria is on it. When the strings are off, flip the PU's over and they'll be a sticker on the baseplate. See how it sound thru your rig. If the PU's stock Epi's, you may decide to upgrade, and I'd recommend a good set of PAF's, like Duncan Seth's, Gibson Burstbuckers, or StewMac Parsons Street. They're great in LP's, and give much more clarity, depth, and articulation to the sound.

I've been on the Duncan forum for years, and probably the brand that gets upgraded most often with aftermarket PU's is Epiphone. Good guitars, but in the past the PU's have been the weak point (which Epi has addressed and rectified).

If you like the PU's in your new guitar, whatever they are, you're all set; just look at the heights of the action, PU's, and pole pieces to get it dialed in for you. If you do have good aftermarket PU's in it, but they don't have the tones you want, you can sell them on eBay and buy another used set, with little net cash outlay.

I highly receommend that every guitarist own Dan Erlewine's book: 'How to make your electric guitar play great', from StewMac. There's everything you need to know, text and pictures, for how to set up a guitar. Most of it's simple and requires no special tools. Since I got that book, I do all my own set ups.

Archived