Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Wiki - LP Custom Prophesy

CheapShoes

Hi. I have some suggested info to add to the unofficial Epiphone Wki for the LP Custom Prophesy. I don't know if this is the place to suggest, but it should have interest to others here as well.

Missing is a discussion on a major design change that should be added to the Wiki and occurred sometime in the 2009/10 timeframe. Notice the image of the 2008-2011 model shows the neck attached to the body at the 17th fret. This was changed to a 19th fret attachment by 2010. Just like the 2012 "plus" models. Thus, we really have three version. Model 1 GX with Dirty fingers pickups and 17th fret neck attachment; model 2 GX with Dirty Fingers and 19th fret neck attachment; model 3 GX 19th fret neck attachment and 490R + 498T type pickups. You can see the diff in the pics on the Epi Wiki. There is a bit about this on the net. and my 2010 LP GX is in agreement with the 19th fret neck attachment. That is a really significant change improving upper fret access, change in guitar hang and neck reach, and I suspect tone if the string node the pickups sit beneath is shifted by several inches. What I don't know is if the scale length changed too.

Cool. Thanks.

By the way, I like this guitar a lot and don't play metal or hard rock. Some modest changes in set up get me there. Lowering the DF pickups substantially rounds off the brittle high end and loosens up the compression; raising the action to medium or higher makes the strings and neck really ring out. Almost gives me a neck massage to hit a E or A string. But yeah, the razor blade inlays are... unique. Fortunately, I found a old school leather strap to match.

Archived