Gibson Brands Forums

Mellow aged switch tip.

Rigormortis

Does anyone know where I can get a switch tip that's in between white and butterscotch amber?

As you know, Gibson and All Parts are selling primarily those two colors, and black. If you take a look at almost all the new "reissue" 335s and 339s coming out, you'll see the butterscotch color most frequently. I know that color is supposed to approximate the natural aging of the 1950's plastic, but it isn't quite right. The 335 in my avatar photo has a slightly aged white, and I'd like something a bit more yellowed, but not the dull butterscotch. I've seen them on some of the new Memphis guitars, but I don't know if Gibson has source they're not sharing with us.

I'm also intrested in a method of dying the white ones to the desired shade.

Thanks. I guess it could go anywhere in this forum, especially with the Les Pauls and anything built to look like a pre-1961.

I bought the "butterscotch" or amber cap, which approximates the darker color of 1950's (until 1961) tips made of Catalin phenolic resin. Those tips started out as an ivory color, like the color of a piano key, and became yellow as they were exposed to ultraviolet light. The tips most yelowed have become almost a dark orange, hence the name "butterscotch". They were a standard tip available with Switchcraft switches.

This new tip is almost the same color as the darker aged Switchcraft tips, but stands out when you put it alongside an original. I doesn't pretend to be a replica, and that's good, because it doesn't have the same hue or smell as the original. Gibson is using these tips on a lot of their vintage reissues these days, and this tip is of course a perfect replacement.

I like the way it threads onto the switch, allowing either a metric or American switch to cut permanent threads into it, as long as the diameter is the same as a Switchcraft.

The only reasons I'm not satisified is because it is not as luminous as the original Catalin tips, has that casting mark, and probably should be offered in an in-between color.

Archived