Gibson Brands Forums

Is this pat no 2.737.842 a dirty fingers pickup?

Ben Woolley

Thanks for all the replies, this was paired with an original hb-r pickup and i think the previous owner must have swapped out the original pickups.

I was told on another forum this is a "80's SCALER BOBBIN PATENT NUMBER PICK UP THE FORERUNNER TO THE 490"

Just out of curiosity what kind of value would the pat no 2.737.842 be? its got a great sound I'm must likely going to hold onto it :D

Many pups with many values have had that number on the bottom for years. It's the only number they use i believe and may actually be the patent number for their trapeze tailpiece. I suspect that your bobbins are not Gibson are were attached to a Gibson baseplate. I'm not sure what they told you on another forum but I have never seen a Gibson pick up bobbin that was not shiny. For the record, I have also never seen the black tape from the pick up bobbin wrapped under the baseplate like yours has.

-Doing a little research on old dirty fingers pick ups. The baseplate that you have very well could have been from an older dirty fingers pick up. However, as a previous poster has pointed out, these pickups always have two rows of screws and yours doesn't. This makes me think that yours was modified somewhere along the way.

Archived