Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chet Atkins SST help

bassmaster57

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my local luthier says the pickup in this guitar is shot and needs to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone knows what pickup can replace this model in the Gibson Chet Atkins SST. I have contacted Gibson and did not get a direct answer. The guitar is discontinued. They said they no longer use this pickup, but did not say what it was or is? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 04 Epiphone Chet Atkins SST Studio and the D string all of the sudden went to about 10% of the volume of all of the other strings. The pickup was F'd. A good replacement pickup that is cheap and what I think makes it sound way better is the Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural I or II. I think I went with the Natural II. It only cost me $200 CDN installed from my luthier. Dave Matthews used to use this setup. He modified his Chets the same way. Check Youtube for the Dave Matthews Band at woodstock, Ants Marching, All Along the Watchtower, Rhyme and Reason, Two Step, #41, etc. To see if you like the sound. Obviously it won't sound identical but, it gives you an idea. Good luck, wish I had me a Gibson. These stupid control knobs on the Epiphone are hideous.

bassmaster57,

During the life of the Chet SST model, the electronics changed a few times which makes it difficult to evaluate over the phone.

I see you are on Tennessee. How far are you from Nashville? You could take it to our restoration shop. They are familiar with every version of the Chet and can evaluate your guitar.

It may be an LR Baggs. I'm nearly certain that's what's in mine. LB 6 series I think. Also, make sure that there is no shim or debris in the bottom of the bridge slot. The transducer has to make good contact all along the bottom of the slot. My tech shimmed my bridge and I ended up with uneven string to string output. Removed the shim and it was fine. Look on the LR Baggs website and see if that's what your pickup looks like.

By the way, awesome guitar. I'm running mine through a Fishman Aura blender in a band context and I can get a range of sounds that work well on stage.

Archived