Gibson Brands Forums

1958 CF100E

phh

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1958 Gibson CF100E from a vintage dealer via the internet. When the guitar first arrived I realized that there was a gap between the bridge and the top, so I took it to my guitar tech who also found a few other problems. We decided that he should loosen the bridge and reglue it and at the same time reinforce the bridge by putting some reinforcement under the bridge inside the top. That was quite expensive, but nicely done.

However, what shocked me was that my guitar tech told me that the top was laminated, not solid. For all I know the CF100E was never made with a laminated top, and yet, here I am with an example. The tech is certain that it is the original top, so either my tech is mistaken about the top being laminated or the available info is not precise enough.

Do any of you have any information about this issue - and how big is the problem? Is it possible to spot a laminated top from the outside? Apart from the value of the guitar being influenced, I also speculate that the sound may be lower and/or different from a solid top?

In you opinion how big a problem is this. I would like to hear your comments.

Best

Per

A friend has two of these unique instruments - that I'd love to have my hands on.

I haven't looked extremely closely, but both appear to be solid tops, give a bit of "vintage guitar gone through the mill" effects on the top that I've seen. All the documentation I've read on them - brought by my personal jealousy, btw - indicates only solid tops are the spec, although I recall (and may be wrong) there were some slight differences between the "e" model and non-electric version in internal bracing.

OTOH... When one looks back at the immediate post war period in which these were made, and that if you have a '58 which would be a tail-end charlie in the instrument's "run," frankly not much would surprise me from any manufacturer, especially one dealing in wood pieces.

Or...

My comments would follow those of Milod on this issue. I own a '57 of this model and can attest to it being solid spruce.....errr....solid .....at any rate!

Much more to satiate my curiosity (since you mentioned purchasing via internet Vintage Dealer).....were the bridge issues 'made known' to you before purchasing the guitar, AND was the price commensurate for a guitar 'needing' such repairs?

Or was it a "surprise moment" when you recieved the guitar?

I certainly hope for the first scenario...[cool]

Oh Yeah.....Welcome to the Forum for Gibson Lovers and Geeks ! [smile]

My comments would follow those of Milod on this issue. I own a '57 of this model and can attest to it being solid spruce.....errr....solid .....at any rate!

Much more to satiate my curiosity (since you mentioned purchasing via internet Vintage Dealer).....were the bridge issues 'made known' to you before purchasing the guitar, AND was the price commensurate for a guitar 'needing' such repairs?

Or was it a "surprise moment" when you recieved the guitar?

I certainly hope for the first scenario...[cool]

Oh Yeah.....Welcome to the Forum for Gibson Lovers and Geeks ! [smile]

Hello Retrorod,

I am afraid it was a surpise moment, and not a pleasant one. I even asked the dealer if the bridge had loosened, and he said no. Then when I wrote him about it, he said that could be fixed for 50 bucks. Well, my tech diagreed, so he had to loosen the bridge and reglue it. He did a nice job, but it set me back quite a lot of money. The dealer also forgot to mention that the back of the guitar was oversprayed. The lesson: don't by vintage guitars via the internet.

Per

phh...

All I can add is #@$%@#$%#$%@#$%@#$%.

I do hope it's a good picker for you, though. I love the size proportions of the instrument and I'm frankly somewhat jealous of my Montana rancher friend who has two...

m

Hello Retrorod,

I am afraid it was a surpise moment, and not a pleasant one. I even asked the dealer if the bridge had loosened, and he said no. Then when I wrote him about it, he said that could be fixed for 50 bucks. Well, my tech diagreed, so he had to loosen the bridge and reglue it. He did a nice job, but it set me back quite a lot of money. The dealer also forgot to mention that the back of the guitar was oversprayed. The lesson: don't by vintage guitars via the internet.

Per

Well, there is no need to beat yourself up over it now. It is always a 'crapshoot' when buying blind. Some sellers will not disclose much unless they are asked specifically and some are ignorant and some are devious. There is a lot of Psychology involved when making a deal on an emotional purchase such as a guitar.

One man's 'player wear' is another man's 'trashed' [smile]

PS....You would be VERY hard-pressed to find someone to remove and re-glue the bridge in a decent manner for $50 as you are now aware......Jes-Sayin.....the tech didn't screw you...

I do get highly agitated with 'blatant lies'...OR non-disclosure of obvious 'issues'.

Not everyone has an eye for overspray re-finishing on a guitar, but it certainly 'de-values' a guitar to a 'vintage purist'.

All in all, I hope that you are enjoying the guitar. I sure do like mine ....and it is not issue-less.... [thumbup]

Throw us a pic if you get a chance!

• 2 months later...

Hello Retrorod,

Per

Who was the dealer? There are some good ones out there who provide a really full description & inspection, and high resolution photos. Then there are the lazy & greedy ones who try to take advantage of customers.

I probably would have returned the guitar.

Archived