Gibson Brands Forums

Red Pencil Question

Debonnaire

I have an HG-00 that was described as 1936-7 and pretty much everything seems consistent with that (ie, Brass Grovers.)

The FON is hard to make out. I can't get a decent picture at the moment. If I had to guess I would say the only clear numbers are 6 and 8 but that doesn't make any sense at all...

Anyways, there is a red pencil 8 under the FON. I was looking around on the forum last night and it seems only wartime models had 2-digits red-pencil suffixes. But this is pre-war and one digit...does that make sense?

Sorry if this is a common FAQ sort of thing. I am new and trying to put together the story of my guitar the best I can.

I have an HG-00 that was described as 1936-7 and pretty much everything seems consistent with that (ie, Brass Grovers.)

The FON is hard to make out. I can't get a decent picture at the moment. If I had to guess I would say the only clear numbers are 6 and 8 but that doesn't make any sense at all...

Anyways, there is a red pencil 8 under the FON. I was looking around on the forum last night and it seems only wartime models had 2-digits red-pencil suffixes. But this is pre-war and one digit...does that make sense?

Sorry if this is a common FAQ sort of thing. I am new and trying to put together the story of my guitar the best I can.

It's a good question, and definitely not a common FAQ sort of thing. I too associate the red pencil with wartime instruments. At any rate, I would focus less on the red pencil, and more on figuring out the FON. Also, some photos of the guitar would be good. I'm not really a flat-top guy, but there are some experts around here.

The red pencil number is the rack number. Batches totalled from 1 to about 70 depending on how many guitars were in the batch. If your red pencil number is 8 then it was the 8th in that batch. There were 1 and 2 digit batch numbers in the ~20s through 1962 when they went to serial numbers.

To me it looks like it says "682," but the FON guides online say that FON belongs to 1933 L-Century.

Here are more pics that I hope are descriptive.

I love this guitar. I have to admit I bought it pretty impulsively, but I have been looking at guitars like this for 15 years. Once I realized I could actually buy one, I sort of swooped in. It wasn't a bargain, per say, but the timing was right.

I need to talk to the guys at the shop because in my excitement i didn't get much of the story except that they got it off ebay over a year ago and had been waiting for somebody to show some interest before fixing it up. Conversion was done before they got it.

You can see the large repaired crack by the B string. The top has several hairline cracks, but the finish is in wonderful condition. My poor photos, the lighting in my kitchen and the smudges from playing it probably don't show it in the best light.

Note the back. ZERO buckle rash. Really no wear on the neck, either.

I know the tuners are of some interest, so I included a pic.

Also, one pic of my two 1937s together. The uke is one of the less-desirable spruce-topped ones. I adore it.

There should be a "how to photograph your guitar" FAQ.

photo-9_zpsb6153d80.jpg

photo-11_zps95cfc453.jpg

photo-7_zps696a314e.jpg

photo-10_zps6151e4a3.jpg

1016520_10151733441895070_299571369_n_zps84292a25.jpg

I didn't know they made Spruce top ukes. Cool! I have a ~1929 style 1 and I love it.

Those tuners look like the Grovers of the period but they don't say Grover on them.... strange. This picture was taken before I got that tuning post replaced on my 1937 GIbson L-00.

I'm not familiar with Tom. Should I be? I'm in Birmingham, AL.

E92F9D30-E829-489C-9C51-E64F29899ABD-4153-000002294BE74FB5_zps92d291ef.jpg

DSC_0058_zps47ab2c39.jpg

They actually do say Grover, but the iphone resolution is crappy. You can just see the R on the one middle left (in the pic.)In real life it is clear as day.

Tom is the guy I bought the guitar from and the most likely guy around here to have the part for a rare instrument. You said in the other thread it came from Nova Scotia.

Any thoughts about the FON? I know these things aren't always consistent.

Also, RE: the spruce-topped ukes...

I don't get it either, but in the 1937 catalogue, they describe the uke-3 as having the spruce top. Until then was mahogany. It is dyed a dark colour, but has that distinctive straight grain. It is also ladder braced, which is another reason people don't think much of them. i haven't had a chance for a side-by-side comparison with a mahogany one.

Archived