Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage J-185

cars'n'guitars

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here.. I own a beautiful les Paul and Martin small body, also an old Japanese Gibson dreadnought copy.

Looking in the near future to buy my first vintage guitar and have my mind set on a J-185.

As it will be a player it doesn't need to be in perfect collectors condition but must be neat, solid and original.

Wondering what price range I would be looking at and also if anyone knows of any good vintage guitar shops in Victoria Australia where I could keep an eye out and maybe try a few different Gibson vintage models?

Thanks guys..

Welcome to the vintage forum ! If you are looking for a vintage J-185, it would be a '51 to '59 ....ranging from 10K to 15K and up. I think of them as the "Holy Grail" of 1950's Gibson acoustics as far as price goes.

If you want to go Gibson vintage acoustic then you are going for a pricey and rare one with the J-185...:mellow: . I know nothing of the Aussie market. There is a member (BluesKing777) who is a very fine player and a vintage Gibby nut who also lives downunder. He would be a good one to contact as far as stores and dealers.....try him !

Good luck with your search.

RRod

Yeah, 8K may be more in the range for 'player grade'. I took those prices from the vintage guitar guide ...in exc. condition. Most sellers ask those prices, even though the guitar is less than excellant...

I still say they are rare and will demand a premium....Good Luck

Decent prices on good J-185s are hard to come by. I have two, one's a player, while the other is a 'clean' example.

Jim Brown over at Jet City Guitars in Seattle has a couple that are nice; the more 'worn' one is an excellent-sounding example.

Once you get into the J-185-price range, the costs associated with shipping from international locations kind of fades into the background, IMO.

Fred

Decent prices on good J-185s are hard to come by. I have two, one's a player, while the other is a 'clean' example.

Jim Brown over at Jet City Guitars in Seattle has a couple that are nice; the more 'worn' one is an excellent-sounding example.

Once you get into the J-185-price range, the costs associated with shipping from international locations kind of fades into the background, IMO.

Fred

The "more worn one" being the '51.... ?

They both look nice but are priced like...."I really don,t care if I sell them"......But if I do, It WILL be worth it. I have to 'shy away ' from purchases like that. I am way too cheap. I have to be on the 'ground floor' of that pyramid..not the 'end result' [sad]

Thank for the advice guys,

And totally agree about the cost of shipping.. It's not here or there. But I could never part with that much money without playing the guitar first.

Always wanted to come over to the states anyway so maybe in the next year or so I'll make the trip.

I also hear a lot of people say they wouldn't own vintage guitars due to the upkeep and maintenance involved..

What is involved other than generally looking after it and a good setup like any other guitar??

The J185 has always been a highly prized, expensive vintage guitar. Thought by many, including me, to be one of their best guitars. I have two 1951 and they are my favorites out of many Gibsons I have owned through the years. My blonde 51 just got out the shop. It is the best Gibson guitar I have owned or played, the sunburst 51 comes next followed by a 12 fret Nick Lucas.

They are expensive, but they alwasy have been. A fellow I know recently purchsed a 51 J185 and he was astonished at the tone comparing it to very nice vintage Martins and Gibsons he owns.

I would try to get an early one 51 or 52.

I am completing some pics of my blonde for a posting, stay tuned.

Terry

Archived