Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG help iD

Lile

I just acquired an older SG, but I'm having trouble dating it, the serial number is 516542, it appears to be an inked on serial number, its not stamped into the headstock like most I have seen, and it doesn't have made in USA below the serial number. The pickguard has a slider switch which has been replaced with a 3 way toggle. I'd like to take it back to its original state, does anyone know if that slider is a 3 way switch or a on-on switch?

I just acquired an older SG, but I'm having trouble dating it, the serial number is 516542, it appears to be an inked on serial number, its not stamped into the headstock like most I have seen, and it doesn't have made in USA below the serial number. The pickguard has a slider switch which has been replaced with a 3 way toggle. I'd like to take it back to its original state, does anyone know if that slider is a 3 way switch or a on-on switch?

... 'Some time in 1953, instruments were ink stamped on the headstock

back with 5 or 6 digit numbers, the first indicating the year, the following numbers are production numbers'....

This quote taken from the Gibson serial no. finder thingy. Seems you have the only '51 SG in existence. Pics would help.

I haven't figured out how to add pictures from my phone, if there is a way to do that please let me know. Otherwise I could email some pictures to you and then you could tell me what I have. Thanks

I haven't figured out how to add pictures from my phone, if there is a way to do that please let me know. Otherwise I could email some pictures to you and then you could tell me what I have. Thanks

Get a free account from a website like photobucket (or get the photobucket app for your phone.) Upload your photos there. Then use the IMG code to post them on this board.

I'm sure there is an easier way, but that is how I do it.

Archived