Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special pickup upgrade to classic 57

lio777

Hello!

im lior and its my first post here :)

I own an SG Special and today I took it to setup and pickguard and pickups change, after layng in her case for something like 2 years maybe..

anyway I ask to upgrade my pickups from the 490 to classic 57 afer hearing huge sound different between the special and the standart.

I dont have enouge budget to buy anoter guitar andI have sentimental feelings for my guitar so im not gonna sale it i was thinking to put the standart pickups in my SG becouse besides "fancy" look and the pickups what are the diffrences between the standart and the special? same wood same electronics ??

does anybody did it with his SG Special?

do you think i can make the hot full sound of the standart from my guitar?

thank in advance lio :)

It should be easy, if you're not using coil splitting.

If your guitar has coil splitting, its just a couple more solders.

If you think you can handle it, I think its one of the most basic guitar jobs that can be done easily by

anyone with a bare minimum common sense. It envolves soldering and losening and tightening screws, and also

playing a little with your tailpiece. Just be careful with your bridge and its screws.

Basically, you just have to mimic what already happens on your pots (volume).

Otherwise, your luthier shouldn't charge very much for this kind of job.

Its a matter of taste, but remember, beneath that chromed cover there is a pickup that looks

just like your 490, you can always put a chromed coil on any humbucker, basically.

People say it changes the sound a bit, I'm not sure if it changes that much.

Archived