Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins CEC

robertmarlin

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me workout the serial number on my new/old Chet Atkins CEC. I have looked at all the online places I can think of to work it out myself, but being that it is a pretty old guitar I am not sure if I have it correct? Anyway the serial is: 189950. No letters or other characters.

Hi,

The serial number does not really fit into the normal serial number configuration. The very first Chet Atkins Ce models came with a different serial number (one letter and 3 digits), but this one is strange.

If you would like me to identify the guitar, please send me or post the following pictures:

* Photos of the instrument in JPG format as an attachment (please limit to 2MB total size for all pictures together, as a bigger total size may not reach us) – full front, full back, as well as close ups of the front and back of the headstock, with the serial number clearly visible. Also of any inside label that the instrument may have.

I can only give you information on how/if the serial number is registered here together with the above mentioned pictures of the instrument, for security reasons, but then I can also send you more information about the specifications of the instrument.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

Hi,

Wow, this is great. Here are the pics you wanted.

Back-Body.jpg

Back-Head.jpg

Front-Head.jpg

front.jpg

Serial.jpg

Appreciate your help.

Rob

Hi,

The serial number does not really fit into the normal serial number configuration. The very first Chet Atkins Ce models came with a different serial number (one letter and 3 digits), but this one is strange.

If you would like me to identify the guitar, please send me or post the following pictures:

* Photos of the instrument in JPG format as an attachment (please limit to 2MB total size for all pictures together, as a bigger total size may not reach us) – full front, full back, as well as close ups of the front and back of the headstock, with the serial number clearly visible. Also of any inside label that the instrument may have.

I can only give you information on how/if the serial number is registered here together with the above mentioned pictures of the instrument, for security reasons, but then I can also send you more information about the specifications of the instrument.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

The guitar looks original to me. The serial number is registered here also as an Epiphone Chet Atkins CEC in antique natural, with gold hardware, but as a factory second (meaning with a small blemish, but technically in order), from 1996, made by the Epiphone division.

You can find the specifications in the attached file and although they are from 1998, they should be the same.

Kind regards,

Stijn

post-15276-075951800 1377859970_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

Glad it is on the registry, pretty hard to work it out from the serial.

I think I know why it is a 2nd, the side marker on the 3rd fret is missing. Otherwise there does not seem to be anything else that could be the reason. She is 17 years old so she has a few small playing marks but nothing too bad. She sound awesome through my small tube amp. Just 2 questions if I can?

1. Is there any way you would know where it was made?

2. Also did this model have the shadow piezo system?

Thanks

Rob

The guitar looks original to me. The serial number is registered here also as an Epiphone Chet Atkins CEC in antique natural, with gold hardware, but as a factory second (meaning with a small blemish, but technically in order), from 1996, made by the Epiphone division.

You can find the specifications in the attached file and although they are from 1998, they should be the same.

Kind regards,

Stijn

• 7 years later...