Gibson Brands Forums

History of les Paul jr blk

paulelester

I recently found in a guitar shop a 1958 reissue Gibson Les Paul jr in blk with the 50 's fat neck and a single P90. Can you guide me towards info on these guitars and I believe I was made In 1998 . Completely different than the custom shop les Paul IRS putting out today. I search for info but it sends me in a run around and back to the curren custom shop jrs. I would appreciate some facts

From best I can tell.. The original Les Paul Jr .(remake) was a cheaper way to get into the Les Paul as was the original JR the Custom shop version started after GIBSON saw the response to the LES PAUL JR SPECIAL II with Binding on the neck it was a great guitar and rather cheap for it being a GIBSON..when they saw how well it was selling they pulled it off the market for over a year then came back with the CUSTOM SHOP VERSION.. if you can find the JR SPECIAL II BUY IT most I have seen are in excellent shape very well built and much cheaper then the now CUSTOM SHOP version.. if you are looking for the P 90 single.. it is a screamer as was the Melody maker.. Both are considered a good way to get into GIBSON on the cheap side and both are usually as well built as the much more costly GIBSON as GIBSON 's QC has gone down hill considerably in the last 3-5 years *)O(*

Archived