Gibson Brands Forums

What model do I have?

Alexlife

Hello Everyone!

I got an old Gibson from my uncle.. It doesn't have any serial number that i could find.. i am trying to figure out what model i have and the year it was made..

thank you for any help!! [biggrin]

Thank you for the replies.

i added a pick of the back of the headstock.. i tried looking close to see if there is a number stamped on it. i cannot find any numbers in the the guitar at all..

thanks again!!

post-59560-097834300 1380030966_thumb.jpg

post-59560-064850100 1380030995_thumb.jpg

post-59560-037675500 1380031017_thumb.jpg

post-59560-003432500 1380034220_thumb.jpg

Script logo on the headstock, slope shoulder, rectangle bridge with a thru saddle - I'm thinking it all points to a late forties J-45. Very desirable guitar. You may want to post this also over in the 'acoustic' section - lots of very knowledgable folks. Is there a number stamped on the back of the headstock or up inside the guitar on the neck block?

A 1946 Gibson J45. Often called "Script only". The war time guitars had the same logo plus the banner below "only a Gibson is Good Enough". The "Script" logo was soon replaced with the first variation of the "new" Gibson block logo, similar as seen today on most Gibson guitars. A FON (factory order number) was inked on the neck block inside the guitar. The Script only guitars, as this one, typically do not have any numbers on the neck block. The vintage community considers these guitars as 1946 even though there is no hard documentation. These guitars have a great following and strong market appeal.

Terry

Archived