Gibson Brands Forums

DC Resistance- '57 Classic

sjtalon

So I have a set of these Gibson pups in a Epi LP Tribute Plus I just bought.

Just for kicks, I took resistance readings. Neck 7.92 KΩ Bridge('57 Plus) 8.13 kΩ

I find a chart with Gibson pickups that claims the bridge's are 13.1– 13.8K. I find many that dispute that as being wrong, and find other pups in the range I am in.

I fully realize, one can't read into DC resistance readings too much as there are many other factors that make an ELECTROMAGNETIC pup what it is. The thing that I find funny is they brag about this PLUS pup having "received a few extra turns of wire".

A few turns is right, going from 7.92-8.13 really don't mean jack though. For a little more power, you would think, the neck pup vs. the bridge (the so called PLUS) would be AT LEAST a 1/2 - K Ω difference.

Just sayin'

Anyway, they sound fantastic !!

I don't know the specs on your particular guitar, but those high readings up to 13k are with Gibson's ceramic pups mostly. They use them in Flying V's and Explorers, things like that. Conventional Les Paul's and SG's read around 7.7 to 8.2, always Alnico magnets. The readings you posted are about the same for my Les Paul Traditional and SG Original.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, it's a spec deal I saved from some forum post some time ago. They had all the Epi and Gibson pups and their readings. Probably one of those ongoing-folks add info deals. Pretty extensive list.

Funny no one ever corrected it as I found posts with folks saying that '57 + value was b s.

FWIW

Here is one post of some of them and there is mention of a different reading there:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/3739529-post51.html

I'll have to check my July '07 Gibson LP Studio (490R & 498T) for kicks and see how that compared with the list as I don't remember if I ever did that.

Archived