Gibson Brands Forums

The Dark Fire Is Hype Without Substance

ppmkly

I just returned my "prototype" (S#'s 01-2000) Dark Fire Guitar to where it belongs.... back to a Gibson dealer... I took it out to a gig last night and was totally unimpressed with the quirk-i-ness, unreliability, sonic quality and overall playability. My original Robot, with the alnico pickups, blows it away; without comparison. The floating pig is deflating (Pink Floyd).........Good luck to you all your going to need it.

I just returned my "prototype" (S#'s 01-2000) Dark Fire Guitar to where it belongs.... back to a Gibson dealer... I took it out to a gig last night and was totally unimpressed with the quirk-i-ness' date=' unreliability, sonic quality and overall playability. My original Robot, with the alnico pickups, blows it away; without comparison. The floating pig is deflating (Pink Floyd).........Good luck to you all your going to need it. [/quote']

Very interested in that bit where the Gibson Original Robot outperformed the DF tone wise.

I really like the sound of my GOR, and I was under the impression that the DF sounded even better.

ppmkly, could you please elaborate a bit more on the tone of the GOR vs the DF?

Thanks.

Very interested in that bit where the Gibson Original Robot outperformed the DF tone wise.

I really like the sound of my GOR' date=' and I was under the impression that the DF sounded even better.

ppmkly, could you please elaborate a bit more on the tone of the GOR vs the DF?

Thanks.

[/quote']

The best way I can describe it is the GOR sounds like a 3D sonic extravaganza. The sonic quality of the GOR is round, warm and has that quickie softness of a good tube amp with soft compression. In comparison, The Dark Fire was like playing a Line 6 modeling stomp box through a digital amp. The DF sonic qualities were 2 dimensional, harsh and piercing in comparison, using the same amplifier. I play through a 15 watt Blues Star made by Mark Sampson so the amplifier was not in the equation last night. The amplifier was mic’d through the PA with a soundman running the board. Both guitars should have been similar in sonic quality. They weren’t, in fact the best sounding guitar I own is actually a Tom Anderson Drop Top. The TA DT is light years beyond the GOR but of course does not have the cool Robot features that I, as a club level guitarist, find extremely useful. The GOR sounds beautiful though not as refined as the Tom Anderson.

The best way I can describe it is the GOR sounds like a 3D sonic extravaganza. The sonic quality of the GOR is round' date=' warm and has that quickie softness of a good tube amp with soft compression. In comparison, The Dark Fire was like playing a Line 6 modeling stomp box through a digital amp. The DF sonic qualities were 2 dimensional, harsh and piercing in comparison, using the same amplifier. I play through a 15 watt Blues Star made by Mark Sampson so the amplifier was not in the equation last night. The amplifier was mic’d through the PA with a soundman running the board. Both guitars should have been similar in sonic quality. They weren’t, in fact the best sounding guitar I own is actually a Tom Anderson Drop Top. The TA DT is light years beyond the GOR but of course does not have the cool Robot features that I, as a club level guitarist, find extremely useful. The GOR sounds beautiful though not as refined as the Tom Anderson.[/quote']

Thanks for the detailed reply ppmky. Much appreciated.

Indeed, I really like my GOR's tone...lush and warm I would describe it. But this is my first Gibson, so I don't have much to compare it against. I also have a Godin (Made in Canada) that sounds beautiful, nowhere near the GOR though :)

The funny thing is when I originally bought the gibson, I didn't play it, afraid I would scratch it or something. Then I realized one day that they were selling better versions for half the price and I got pissed, and took it out and played the **** out of it, and now it became my main guitar :)

Archived