Gibson Brands Forums

59 #11 "Rosie"

hsummy

As you can see by my title, I'm a newbie. I currently play a 58 VOS Tobacco Sunburst and am looking to purchase a 59 model. I'm sure the board has a wealth of information on the #11 "Rosie" model. Could you share your good, bad, ugly, or good, great, awesome perspectives on the model?

Thanks,

-hank

So no more refinement, no more attention to detail in the build and playability than the less expensive VOS or regular 59 models.

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps you could be more specific....

Edit, just to add, in real terms it's the same as any other 59 reissue.

Guest Farnsbarns

So no more refinement, no more attention to detail in the build and playability than the less expensive VOS or regular 59 models.

Thanks for the reply.

The VOS are cheaper because the final buffing stages are omitted, leaving a flat, very slightly aged appearance. This saves time in the factory.

There is a lot of perception issues here... The original bursts were not at all consistent and specs varied wildly, you could, therefore, say more attention to detail is a less accurate approach.

The collector's series are a reproduction of a specific guitar, rather than bursts in general, this takes a lot more R&D and a lot more time. It doesn't make the guitar better than a more general recreation, it could make it worse in certain individuals hands.

The collectors' choice guitars are quite aptly named, they are for collectors, not players so much. Of course, if you play one and love it, and you can afford it, great but there's just as much chance you'll love any other 59 RI.

Thank you all very much, very helpful.

The VOS are cheaper because the final buffing stages are omitted, leaving a flat, very slightly aged appearance. This saves time in the factory.

There is a lot of perception issues here... The original bursts were not at all consistent and specs varied wildly, you could, therefore, say more attention to detail is a less accurate approach.

The collector's series are a reproduction of a specific guitar, rather than bursts in general, this takes a lot more R&D and a lot more time. It doesn't make the guitar better than a more general recreation, it could make it worse in certain individuals hands.

The collectors' choice guitars are quite aptly named, they are for collectors, not players so much. Of course, if you play one and love it, and you can afford it, great but there's just as much chance you'll love any other 59 RI.

• 1 year later...

Besides the R&D for the CC series the only other difference would be that the selection of the wood is done more carefully than a general run R9. They will go through the stack of wood selected for a R9 and then "hand select" the wood that will be a CC model.

• 4 months later...

Archived