Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton ii: serial number issue?

Angelojf

Hello!

I have a black Epiphone Sheraton ii that I bought from CL. But here's my issue:

When I look inside it to see the serial number, there was a piece of tape covering the serial number with numbers printed on the tape. So I removed the tape. Underneath, was a different set of numbers. Unfortunately, I could not read all of the numbers that were underneath the tape because in removing the tape, it removed some of the numbers.

Is this normal? I am hoping that I did not buy a counterfeit.

The person I bought it from seemed very legit, and he even gave me the phone number of the person who does his set ups. Unfortunately I do not have any of this contact info anymore. When I asked him (after I brought the guitar home) about the tape, he said he never even noticed that.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any input!

If the sticker covering the original serial number started with 311, it is a guitar that has been refurbished by MIRC. These are considered factory seconds and sometimes also have the words "2nd" or "USED" stamped on them, but not always. The issue requiring a refurb may have been simply cosmetic or some type of hardware problem, but shouldnt be anything structural. Overall, it should be a good guitar.

Archived