Gibson Brands Forums

Specs on Epi SG Express tuners. Help!

mikewiehle

Hello all,

Bought my son an Epiphone SG Express Special, 3/4 size guitar. I am tricking it out for christmas. I want to replace his tuners with Grovers or something similar. Does anyone know what size tuners came on the guitar? I also want to put 18:1 ratio tuners on, will this cause any problems?

Also, btw, does anyone know of a pickguard (i.e. who sellls one) for this guitar?

Thanks in advance, Mike

I think you are out of luck with the pickguard. Your only option is to measure and design one yourself, I think.

As far as the tuners, they supposedly come with generic die-cast, which in all honesty, are really good tuners. I've never had a problem with any Epiphone die-cast tuners. Its the stamped tuners that you have to watch out for.

But I'd advise against Grovers just for the fact that they are going to add a lot of weight to the top of the guitar and will most likely make it unbalanced. If your son is just starting out, this is something you must take into consideration if you want him to learn to play guitar. The biggest hurdle to learning is obviously dexterity, but the second biggest is playability. If you create a top heavy guitar by installing Grovers, you've most likely just doubled the lad's learning curve because he will be fighting to keep the guitar balanced at all times. You have to realize that there isnt enough body weight to balance out a set of Grovers. Even the full size SG's have an issue with this.

I know how you feel about tricking out a guitar...we love to do that sort of thing, but like I said, the stock tuners are good and your son wont know the difference betweent the two aside from the added weight which will only work against him. If you really want to change tuners, there are probably other, lighter, options out there aside from Grovers, but I personally dont feel it is necessary.

I think you are out of luck with the pickguard. Your only option is to measure and design one yourself, I think.

As far as the tuners, they supposedly come with generic die-cast, which in all honesty, are really good tuners. I've never had a problem with any Epiphone die-cast tuners. Its the stamped tuners that you have to watch out for.

But I'd advise against Grovers just for the fact that they are going to add a lot of weight to the top of the guitar and will most likely make it unbalanced. If your son is just starting out, this is something you must take into consideration if you want him to learn to play guitar. The biggest hurdle to learning is obviously dexterity, but the second biggest is playability. If you create a top heavy guitar by installing Grovers, you've most likely just doubled the lad's learning curve because he will be fighting to keep the guitar balanced at all times. You have to realize that there isnt enough body weight to balance out a set of Grovers. Even the full size SG's have an issue with this.

I know how you feel about tricking out a guitar...we love to do that sort of thing, but like I said, the stock tuners are good and your son wont know the difference betweent the two aside from the added weight which will only work against him. If you really want to change tuners, there are probably other, lighter, options out there aside from Grovers, but I personally dont feel it is necessary.

Archived