Gibson Brands Forums

Factory strings on ES-345

LordBlackadder

G'day everyone,

I'm wondering what brand strings Epiphone fit to their ES guitars. I have a 2011 ES-345 and I love the original strings - have have lasted ages and have very little corrosion.

I must have particularly corrosive fingers because I seem to go through Ernie Balls on my LP at quite a rate. They don't break - they just get very dark and corroded even though I'm very particular about wiping down my strings with a light bit of fingerboard oil before I pack the guitar away.

But the strings on my ES-345 have lasted ages - I got the guitar new over 9 months ago and the strings still feel great. Admittedly I haven't been playing the ES as much as my LP though.

The Gibson website states the Epiphone ES-345 has ".010 - .046, Swedish Steel "Hex" Core" strings from the factory. Who makes these? I read somewhere that D'Addario make Gibson's strings - do they use these on the Chinese made Epiphones as well? Do they ship strings from the USA to China to be fitted to their new guitars?

I'm curious to find out so I can buy same strings as a replacement, I figured someone on these forums might know.

Thanks and greetings from Australia,

Andrew.

Archived