Gibson Brands Forums

CF 100e

Kyle-F

I have a CF100e, fon 9115 - 25, I believe it's a 1951.

The guitar is missing all the electrics and I'm searching for the correct parts

to bring it back to spec.. I'm a bit confused as to which knobs and pots to look for.

From what I've gathered, it looks like IRC pots were used in the early 50s but I've seen

different knobs installed, some top hat style and some speed knobs.

My questions are; if speed knobs are correct, which ones were used on the CF 100e,

tall or short? For the pots, should they be short shaft with smooth solid shaft or split shaft?

And lastly, if anyone has a pickup for sale please let me know.

Thank you

I would think that a vintage P90 will be easy to find....If you do not have the black trim guard around it....that could be more difficult to find.

Could we see some pics? And how does it sound acoustically?

I have a '57 but the specs may be different. I can try to get some measurements from mine, if you will give me a few days or more.

It always begs me to wonder WHY would someone would rip the electronics out of a pretty cool vintage guitar [confused]

Rod

If you could talk this guy down, you would have all that you need, possibly....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131074733697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_834wt_1178

Thanks for the reply and info,

The guitar I have is nothing special, it has an old crack repair and two small un repaired cracks too, it's also had a very poor refinish job but the upside is it plays and sounds great. To me it's a keeper, I love the size and sound of this guitar. I probably will never play it plugged in but I figure I would keep a lookout for the correct parts to fill the holes and maybe someday I'll take the plunge and fix it up but I don't know what to look for exactly as I've only been playing for a few years and I'm no Gibson expert.

I have seen P90 pickups out there but I don't know how they are held in place, are they sandwiched or clamped in by the pickup cover on top with the two screws on the outer part of the cover? Which pickup would work, ones with a soap bar cover or dog ear? As you mentioned, the cover is probably going to be hard to find.

Thanks for the link to the one listed, I sent him a message to see if he still has it. Any idea what that thing is really worth?

Regards

Guitars in this condition are 'tricky'. There is no finite answer. Its worth what someone offers him, and he in turn, accepts, ultimately!

The guy didn't reply or re-list the guitar.

Can you tell me how tall the knobs are on your guitar? I see some tall knobs out there but not sure if they are correct for my guitar.

I suppose Gibson used the same pots and knobs on the CF100e that were used on the ES guitars of the same period?

If so, I'll keep a lookout for parts from one of those models.

The guy didn't reply or re-list the guitar.

Can you tell me how tall the knobs are on your guitar? I see some tall knobs out there but not sure if they are correct for my guitar.

I suppose Gibson used the same pots and knobs on the CF100e that were used on the ES guitars of the same period?

If so, I'll keep a lookout for parts from one of those models.

Yeah Kyle, the knobs on my '57 are a 1/2" tall.....and they do correspond to the type used on the Gibson ES-style guitars. I ssume the same pots as well....(look like the same)!

Yeah Kyle, the knobs on my '57 are a 1/2" tall.....and they do correspond to the type used on the Gibson ES-style guitars. I ssume the same pots as well....(look like the same)!

Great, I appreciate the reply and information.

I'll start my search

I have a CF100e, fon 9115 - 25, I believe it's a 1951.

The guitar is missing all the electrics and I'm searching for the correct parts

to bring it back to spec.. I'm a bit confused as to which knobs and pots to look for.

From what I've gathered, it looks like IRC pots were used in the early 50s but I've seen

different knobs installed, some top hat style and some speed knobs.

My questions are; if speed knobs are correct, which ones were used on the CF 100e,

tall or short? For the pots, should they be short shaft with smooth solid shaft or split shaft?

And lastly, if anyone has a pickup for sale please let me know.

Thank you

Hey Kyle, to more specifically answer this original question. I suggest short-stem (3/8") CTS pots with the knurled split-shaft of 250K (vol&tone)with a .02 tone capacitor..... and the Gibson amber 'top-hat' knobs for your early CF100....(almost-E)

Good luck and keep googling if necessary,

Rod

Hey Kyle, to more specifically answer this original question. I suggest short-stem (3/8") CTS pots with the knurled split-shaft of 250K (vol&tone)with a .02 tone capacitor..... and the Gibson amber 'top-hat' knobs for your early CF100....(almost-E)

Good luck and keep googling if necessary,

Rod

Top Hats? Ok good to know, all the photos I've seen have speed knobs on them but I must admit I haven't seen many pics of 51 models.

Once she regains her e and I get her all fixed up I'll post a pic.

Again, I appreciate the info.

• 2 weeks later...

My 51 CF-100E has barrels, not top hats. BTW mine has fon 9113-10

Great info, thanks. As mentioned earlier most of the photos I see show barrels but I have seen tops hat as well. Hopefully over time I'll be able to gather all the correct parts to put it back together.

If anyone out there has a 51 es wiring harness please let me know.

Kyle

Archived