Gibson Brands Forums

FT-145-M?

MonkMillar

Okay, so I need some help. I have an Epiphone acoustic, model FT-145 serial number 08780399. However, it is unlike any others I've seen online or elsewhere. The model number appears to have been blacked out and FT-145-M, written in it's place. The guitar's specs seem to match with a normal 145 with the exception of having back and sides not being mahogany, rather some other lighter colored wood. If anyone can give me some insight as to what the deal is with this guitar, it would be greatly appreciated.

Pics might help, if possible. A lighter colored wood would most likely be maple. Typically, "M" would stand for mahogany in a run where there was model with different tops or body variations, and maple would be indicated with either a "B" or "P". The FT-570BL is an example of the lettering they would have used during the 1970's to designate maple. "P" would be used on later models. However, seeing as this is hand-written in, the M was probably a mistake and the QC person may have not been aware of the correct designation, with "M" for maple seeming the most logical. I'm going to take a guess and say that there were probably much fewer maple models than mahogany models.

Thanks for your input RTH. I am fairly certain you are correct. The back and sides do appear to be maple. It still amazes me that I can't find another FT-145 with the maple back and sides anywhere online, not so much as a picture of one. Rarity most certainly is not an indication of value, but I am quite content to own what seem to be such a rare interment.post-62234-028817200 1388648930_thumb.jpg

post-62234-016597200 1388648931_thumb.jpg

post-62234-094523200 1388648931_thumb.jpg

post-62234-064467600 1388648932_thumb.jpg

Interestingly enough, I found a couple other references to the FT-145M.

Here is a link to one on ebay. It has the model number hand-written like yours, but with a designation of FT-145MPL. Also note that the handwriting is different from yours (most noticable with the number "4"), so this must have been what they decided to call them at the time.

http://www.ebay.com/...57#ht_597wt_880

Here is another one from an old thread on this forum. No pics here, but a member claims that his says FT-145M as well. No indication of whether it was handwritten from what I skimmed through.

http://forum.gibson....-neck-acoustic/

I'll take a new guess and say that this model designation was prior to the "B" designation that they used leter on in the 1970's.

Archived