Gibson Brands Forums

1940 Gibson Flattops

tpbiii

Those Gibsons are surely great sounding guitars. Unfortunately I didn't become interested in these flat tops until about 20 years ago, just before "Fabulous Flat Top Guitars" was published. Back in the mid 1950's, when I started playing, Hillbilly and then the new "rock a billy", I was lucky enough to have a Gibson ES that I played, and still have, until the Martin D28 bug hit me in the early 1960's and still continues today. I had a Banner LG2 and a 12 fret, I don't recall the model plus a couple of others that, back then, were only considered "trading plunder" among the elite. I truly enjoy your photos and recordings. Keep up the good work and thanks.

DJ

Those Gibsons are surely great sounding guitars. Unfortunately I didn't become interested in these flat tops until about 20 years ago, just before "Fabulous Flat Top Guitars" was published. Back in the mid 1950's, when I started playing, Hillbilly and then the new "rock a billy", I was lucky enough to have a Gibson ES that I played, and still have, until the Martin D28 bug hit me in the early 1960's and still continues today. I had a Banner LG2 and a 12 fret, I don't recall the model plus a couple of others that, back then, were only considered "trading plunder" among the elite. I truly enjoy your photos and recordings. Keep up the good work and thanks.

DJ

Hi DJ,

We seem sort of similar, but our timing seems a bit different -- I started playing very late in the 50s. When we first wanted old Martin dreads in the mid 1970s (our progression was 60s - 50s -40s -30s), we were also picking up small Martins and Gibsons which we rationalized as investments. It turns out they did pretty well, but our bluegrass friends through we were nuts or maybe really crafty -- which we were neither I think. Just lucky. We did not get into the big mid 30s Gibsons until about 10 years ago.

All the best,

-Tom

Archived