Gibson Brands Forums

Let's talk banjos -- 1927 Granada no hole archtop

tpbiii

Hi tbiii, Nice looking Granada. I fooled with the 5 string in the early '70s. Thanks to Herb Hooven lending me his 1928 (edit; my mistake actually was a 1925, I believe) "ball bearing TB conversion" for a couple of years. I don't remember who did the conversion, it had a 40 hole arch head and sounded terrific. I was playing a lot of Dobro then and did not take the 5 string very serious. Everyone was playing "Scruggs Style" at the time so there was a lot to be learned from many local folks. What little I did amounted to frail or claw hammer style. I always kick myself for not buying it from Herbie when he sold it. One of the other gents had an RB 250 he made a set of "Scruggs Winders" for. I remember him drooling over the tone and volume of Herbie's Granada. The 250 had a flat head with no holes. He must have had a half dozen different tone rings, some with up to 50 holes he had drilled, but nothing could touch the sound of the '28 ('25). I believe he bought the RB 250 new in 1965. That was one of our first lessons regarding "Vintage". Take care, DJ

edit; Just reread my reply, Herbies was a 1925 I believe, not a 1928.

Archived