Gibson Brands Forums

63 Black Everly Bros..

Biggus

I have a chance to buy a 1963 black Gibson Everly Bros but it is in rough condition. The finish is checkering all over, there is some missing inlay and the headstock has been split, but repaired properly with pegging and all, but very obvious and noticablr.

The guitar though, plays and sounds like a dream. Wondering if it is a good instrument to purchase and have restored. The seller want $2K for it, and my question is, what would a total resotre cost, does a restore lesson the value and what is this guitar worth?

Thanks for any help.

There are a lot of variables to be considered. Some pictures would be most helpfull to give any half-way accurate guess-timations.

The Vintage Guitar Priceguide has these valued at 10-12K in Excellant Cond.

Most of us realise that, there are very few vintage guitars, in exc.cond.(which means original and un-repaired also)

Most of us also realise that many of the values listed in this book are 'unrealistic' to the actual economy and what someone 'will pay'. So lets consider 8K a more realistic figure IF in exc. cond.

Consider a headstock or neck fracture( well-repaired and damn near invisible) to reduce that value by 50%. Also a total guitar re-finish might bring the value down another 20%.

This would put it valued at $2500

All this is hypothetical of course and your mileage may vary. I have not seen or played the guitar and you have!

I am not sure what your idea of 'restore' is, but I think you would be well-served to have the repair cosmetically fixed and let the rest of the finish be original. You would be well-served to have a good vintage luthier look at it and give you an estimate of its needs.

$2000 may be an okay deal if you did not have to put much more into it, in the way of repairs.

Pictures please, if possible,

Rod

Compare it to other guitars at the price that you'll be paying for it once it's in the condition that you want.

So, $2k + maybe an additional $1k in repairs say = $3k guitar.

If you absolutely love it and believe that you'll never sell it (haha! good luck with that) then go for it. Or, if you're green and have never bought a "vintage" guitar and don't mind educating yourself buy spending a few bucks while enjoying it, then you could also rationalize it that way.

There was recently a good thread over on the UMGF about these guitars that's worth checking out.

Archived