Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker troubleshooting

Joyh364

Hi, ive installed 2 dimarzio evolution humbuckers 158 and 159 in my les paul custom. im pretty sure the wiring is ok, because i asked a guitar tech, what colors going where. just to say, this pick ups have worked before, not 100% a little bit of fading in and out. But today i resoldered the pickups and when i measure the dc resistance i get 358kohms on neck pickup and 456kohms on bridge pickup. the dc resistance is supposed to be 13.04kohms neck and 13.64kohms bridge. Plz help... im going crazy, dont know what to do. i dont want to take it to the guitar shop, i wanna learn :D

Sounds like you are getting the resistance of the volume pots. Make sure the volume knobs are turned all the way up. If this doesn't fix it (probably won't based on the values you are getting), unsolder the pickups and check the resistance out of the circuit. If they read correct out of circuit you have mis-wired them in circuit or your solder joints are very poor. If they read open (infinite resistance) out of circuit they are dead and you would get the pot resistance when measuring in circuit.

I'm guessing/hoping you just wired them wrong or need to improve your soldering.

Note if the coil wires are exposed you need to be very careful handling the pickups. The coil wire is very thin and can be broken by just bumping it with a tool. If the wire breaks in one spot the whole pickup is dead.

Archived