Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing my '78 RD Custom

Wiredin

Soon after I got over my love affair of Telecasters when I first started playing guitar I fell in love with two Gibson models, the ES335 and the RD. It's been 15 years now and last year I bought my RD Custom. I really wanted an Artist, and the shop I bought mine did have one in the rafters, but it played like crap and had little to no sustain. Very comfortable to play though, and I love the look of them. So I took home this '78 Custom.

8298498378_78f00a7e2d_b.jpgrd by LK_335, on Flickr

8297505833_793579844a_b.jpgcontrol cavity by LK_335, on Flickr

still has original electronics

8297440055_14204bb7d7_b.jpgserial by LK_335, on Flickr

8275535269_ed0502df15_b.jpgdecember 15 by LK_335, on Flickr

The neck is unlike anything else I've owned, its thin and wide. I'm used to a 60's profile, so it was very strange at first. Now that I have a 2014 Tribute LP it feels like a twig. Very playable and very fast. They were fretless wonders, which was a little odd, but I don't mind the very short rise.

The pickups suck though. sucked all the life out of the resonance of the body. It has a ton of attack and screams with the harmonics. It's a lot of fun. So I ripped the original pickups out and threw in a Prail and a Bustbucker 3. Left the stock preamp/eq in there, and soon will have a 3 way SD pickup ring for the Prail. It sounds like a monster now! Very articulate, lots of attack, tons of body, and you can adjust however you like with the EQ to get the sound just right.

It has become one of my primary guitars, very happy with my purchase, and don't think I could let it go.

Archived