Gibson Brands Forums

Hard case for a 49/50 Lg-2

Nick B

Hey all,

I've got a 49/50 Lg-2 with what is supposedly it's original case (according to the shop I bought it from). The case is some sort of shoddy, flimsy paper machete type product with plastic. It's definitely old, but it's pretty hard to imagine Gibson selling guitars of any caliber in such a thing.

Regardless, the case wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

I'm content buying a new case. One that such a guitar deserves. I tried out a few at a buddy's guitar shop, but none fit just right.

What do you all recommend. Money isn't an issue, within reason.

Thanks.

Hi

I have one that fits perfectly but frustratingly, there's no makers mark on it but they are out there. Try TKL as it looks to be very similar to others I have. On another note, if you don't want the original case, would you consider shipping it to me in the UK? I like having the original cases with my guitars (and then using a better one when it leaves the house) and they're almost impossible to come across over here. Maybe PM me if you're interested?

Thanks

Russ

Bassman:

Thanks for your interest. Let me stew on it. If this is indeed the original case, I might consider holding onto it. You should also know that one of the latches is missing, the one where the key goes. Why this case even has a keyslot is beyond me. It's like paper; you could rip the case in half damn near. Further, the latch its missing is right in the middle and when carrying the case I can almost see inside the case: the gap is that bad. I have to use a bungee chord just to carry the thing without worrying nonstop.

Goat:

Thanks man. That case actually looks very similar to the 61 LG-3 I was looking at. If that's a 40's case and it matches the 60's case, I can't help but imagine mine truly is not the original. If that's the case, the music shop I bought my LG-2 from was a little reckless and inconsiderate with their labeling of the case as "original". Whatever.

Either way, goat, I'm looking for a "modern" case for carrying the guitar around safely.

Anyways, to all:

Here's a few pics of the ratty case. Any insight would be helpful. As you'll see, the guitar fits quite well.

Thanks, all.

post-62647-015440900 1400261263_thumb.jpg

post-62647-095224300 1400261320_thumb.jpg

post-62647-009219500 1400261327_thumb.jpg

I am guessing the original hardshell case would have been one of the brown Lifton or possibly Stone cases with the small Gibson plaque. The Liftons were used from around 1947 through 1960. In 1961 Gibson went with the black cases with the yellow lining. I have seen a couple of these cases for LG-2s but they are a lot harder to find than those for a J-45 or J-200. A local shop has one but I have never been able to talk them into parting with it.

Archived