Gibson Brands Forums

1937 Epiphone Masterbuilt Zenith

stevitunes

Hello all. Just received a 1937 Epiphone Masterbuilt Zenith arch top from it's original owner (son's great uncle). It is all original, but looks like neck needs to be reset. Is it worth repair? Does anyone own one that could speak to the tone? Sentimental value is priceless, but received in hopes that it would be used by my son and passed down, etc. Any feedback appreciated...post-65693-018540700 1401749538_thumb.jpg

post-65693-021359200 1401749551_thumb.jpg

Hello all. Just received a 1937 Epiphone Masterbuilt Zenith arch top from it's original owner (son's great uncle). It is all original, but looks like neck needs to be reset. Is it worth repair? Does anyone own one that could speak to the tone? Sentimental value is priceless, but received in hopes that it would be used by my son and passed down, etc. Any feedback appreciated...post-65693-018540700 1401749538_thumb.jpg

post-65693-021359200 1401749551_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful guitar. For a quick guide, go on ebay and see if you can find a comparable guitar and see what the going prices are selling for.

First, it apparently was considered a "student model."

Note too that it's not really very collectible.

It's bigger than the original in '31 (or apparently '32).

Some of this era and later would have a pickguard remodel or new type that would add a floating pup and likely a volume or volume and tone knobs.

m

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html

... notes the below - with no price tag on it:

Epiphone Zenith archtop.

Collectibility Rating: D- (similar to an ES-125).

1931 Zenith introduction specs:

13 5/8" wide.

Segmented F-holes.

Maple back and sides.

Dot fingerboard inlays.

Single bound top and back.

Sunburst finish.

Tenor version available called theMelody (discontinued 1958).

1934 Zenith specs:

14 3/4" wide.

Walnut back and sides.

Stickpin peghead logo.

Block peghead logo.

1954 Zenith specs:

Blond finish available.

Vertical oval peghead inlay.

1958 Zenith specs:

Gibson made.

16 3/8" wide.

Zenith Discontinued 1970.

Note that

I have a similar Epi, a 1945 Blackstone. They're not especially collectable but the examples I've heard have been spectacular given their apparently lowly status. Well worth doing the reset, anyway!

I guess I may have sounded a bit negative in my first response and Jay made me rethink a bit.

I don't have an instrument as "good" as that Epi, but even my 1950-something Harmony single pup archtop would be easily worth a neck reset too.

These older decent quality archtops were all over the place "back then," as well as some far lesser archtops, but they were for folks who wanted to play.

m

Archived