Gibson Brands Forums

Help - I bought 2 Dark Fires and they both have different action and look

sshep

I must be obsessed with this guitar and maybe I need help. I really loved my new Dark Fire very low serial number but I found the action a slight bit high as compared with my les paul standard, classic, and PRS. I saw another one (much higher serial #) and bought it because it had lower action (width of a penny at the 12th fret as opposed to the first one which was just a little more than a penny) and the tail piece was lower- stiffer action. I was told that the neck the 2nd one was better. However the flame was much darker and filled with all kinds of wood "knot holes" (best I can describe) and interesting "imperfections", maybe more beautiful or maybe not. (The first one looks almost identical to the one in the advertisement.) The 2nd one's tail piece was noticeably lower resulting in a stiffer bending force. I think someone set it up differently in the store although maybe it was plecked that way. Anyway, now I don't know which one to give back. I can't keep both. How do you evaluate the neck of these guitars (for what is good and bad). Can I ask you guys what I should do because I don't really think I can make the best decision - it may be a toss up so to speak. Maybe it doesn't really matter. Is it rational to have a guitar that has been supposedly set up and plecked for perfection re-set for my preferences or is that not a good idea? Thanks.

On these the Neck profile should be consistent - the Setup and Action can drastically impact the playability - this is still a human operation at the assembly line.

Keep the one you prefer the appearance of, and take it to a luthier to adjust the action and intonation.

Or read this thread and order the book mentioned there.:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11693

elantric, thanks for your reply. I cannot tell if the neck relief is the same for both. If a luthier were to adjust and set up the one I decide to keep, would he mess with the truss rod or is that something that for this type of guitar shouldn't be done. Both guitars play very well and I think I prefer the one with the slightly higher action and lower bending force. However, if I decide to keep it and then decide to lower the action a little bit would do you think that I should worry about whether the neck can support the change. I know, I may not be thinking clearly anymore and worrying about insignificant things. But thanks again for your help.

These Dark Fires are basically high quality Gibson Guitars, and can be setup by a competent luthier just like a Les Paul Standard. I have a few Gibson's, a 1961 SG, and a 1972 Les Paul - All the typical Gibson string adjustment controls are there which impact the playability. (Truss Rod, Bridge Height, NUT Height. Tail Piece Height, String gauge, tuning pitch - all contribute to the playability.

The PLEK process simply insures all the frets are at uniform height. String height is not a fixed factory setting, its very typical that you may not want to adjust the string height to your personal preference.

Its typical that the Dark Fire truss rod may need adjustment, mine did. Realize that climate, altitude, temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity, string gauge, and string height will all impact the truss rod setting. Its also best left to to a professional. Rule #1 for a beginner when adjusting a truss rod - never perform more than one quarter turn in either direction during an adjustment session. But any pro should be able to dial in any Dark Fire for excellent playability.

Keep the one you prefer the appearance of, and take it to a luthier to adjust the action and intonation.

And I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879306017/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual by Dan Erlewine (Guitar Player Book) (Paperback)

I agree with Elantric. Some things to consider tho:

Are you a lead player, if not the strings being a bit higher may not affect your style in any way. Some like strings higher off the neck, some don't...it truly depends on what your of playing style is and your preference.

I agree, get the one that you like the looks of best and have a luthier set up you guitar to your liking. Adjustment of the truss rod, the pups, the bridge, etc is best left to a luthier if you're not familiar with the adjustments.

You should also ask your luthier to xplain some different settings for you and possibly he'll have some guitars in his shop where he can actuallly show you the difference....that way you can get sum ideas. #-o

Archived