Gibson Brands Forums

old elixir's revived my J-185

eots

Had received my Gibson J-185 ec limited edition a week ago and though I didn't know how old the strings were on it, it sounded pretty dead to me. I played it in church Sunday with the dead strings. Yuk! I was a little embarrased by it's tone but at least it still had it's pretty working for it.

Well, I had several sets of strings waiting in line. A set of D'Addario EJ26 's that I figured I'd give another shot at. It was a set that the guy threw in when I bought my Langejans a couple years ago. Didn't care for the set it was already wearing so I put Elixirs on it. All better.

This spare set, I opened up and laid out ready to restring the Gibby. After taking the old set off realized these also were D'addario EXP's. Nah, I don't think I want to hear these anymore. Then realized that I still had a set of Elixirs that had a year of play time on them from the Langejans. It having a 3/4" longer scale than the Gib didn't hurt either. It was an experiment that wasn't going to cost anything. What a difference. Opened it up quite a bit. I don't think this J-185 has had much playing time cause it still feels a little tight. I'm just realizing that it'll be wearing Elixirs like the rest of my acoustic brood.

I'll put a new set on soon enough (still have 2 more sets) but I'm just thankful that there's still hope that it'll sound better. Not better than the Langejans but it's worthy of playing out now.

Okay, I'm done acting like a cheapskate with the expense of a set of strings....

Guest salemaker

Personally, I like the John Pearse Acoustic 80/20 Bronze Wound. I'm lazy and they seem to last a loooooooooonng time! They never tarnish... just go dead and need replacing about every 6-9 months or so.

Archived