Gibson Brands Forums

1930's gibson lap steel

joshn569

Hey,

My great grandfather bought this 1936 ( so I think from some research ) Gibson lap steel guitar and amp brand new in the 30's. He played it every weekend until he was well into his mid 90's. He has since past away in 02 and left me this guitar.

I was wondering if any one else out there has one of these? I hear the amps are really sought after.

Ive been thinking about selling it because I am strapped for cash but I dont want to give it away nor do I want to make the mistake of selling it and then 15 years down the road realize what I did and kick myself for it. Was it it worth?? Should I sell it or hold onto it?

Like I said, he played the hell out of it and it shows from the wear and tear on it. You can see the pick marks in it. Some of the trim is comming off ect...

ojjtrp.jpg

aewjlg.jpg

2a6jyua.jpg

bijri8.jpg

2gt6jrn.jpg

2zqh15i.jpg

2vwv47s.jpg

atlvgz.jpg

w1dw6p.jpg

9b9l6d.jpg

99p9go.jpg

2qiwjtk.jpg

hx4ppu.jpg

NICE!!!!

Well I'm no expert....but I know a decent amount.

Here we go:

Looks like a 1930's GIBSON Eh-150 lapsteel, and EH-150 amplifier

They were usually sold together.

They are both in what looks to me as REALLY GOOD SHAPE. The handles on most of the amps didn't last long, unlesss they were never used.

And most of the tubes look original, but I'm not positive on that.

The lapsteel has a pickup in it known as the "charlie christian" pickup. Charlie was a great jazz player, and in his archtop, this pickup helped to shape his sound.

The amp should have a model # stamped somewhere. AND is should say EH-150 (or a different number if its not a 150)

The amp was also made famous by CHARLIE CHRISTIAN. Because of him, the amp is sought after, as well as the pickup.

Both of them would fetch over $2,000 most likely....probably more.

But hold on to them, and they will likely increase in price over time. Like anything, they are hard to find, and eventually will be tough to get in good condition....then the collectors come in and pay SUPER HIGH PRICES for the vintage gear.

Hope this helps!!!!

I have a EH-185 amp which is SUPER hard to find. Its loud, and it is the first ever piggy back amp. ITS AWESOME!!!!

oh, and I see the binding is coming off of the one side of the lapsteel. If your going to keep it, you should really have it looked at by a LUTHIER. All cracks and separations should be fixed, to protect the instrument. Humidity is usually an issue with old instruments. Try and keep it in 40% to 55% humidity.

You can use DAMP (not leaking) sponges in ziplock bags with holes in the bags to keep good humidity during the winter (not sure how the weather is where you live)

Archived